Topics

Virtual Comport Software

Tony

All:

Does anyone know of a virtual comport app (preferably freeware) that works with Windows 10 / 64?

Tony -K2MO

Neil Radicic

Tony,

I have tried the free ones and was frustrated and disappointed - I ultimately went with VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator) for my gateway with two radios and a serial/usb GPS all nicely integrated.  Its not free, but well worth the stability and ease of use for the price.

best,
Neil
KD7UHR

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Tony,

The "com0com" works well on Windows 32 machines. So it will probably work on W10 64 bits.

Patrick

-----Message d'origine-----
De : main@digitalradio.groups.io [mailto:main@digitalradio.groups.io] De la part de Tony
Envoyé : mercredi 22 avril 2020 23:16
À : main@digitalradio.groups.io
Objet : [digital-mode-radio] Virtual Comport Software

All:

Does anyone know of a virtual comport app (preferably freeware) that works with Windows 10 / 64?

Tony -K2MO

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Joe

On 4/22/2020 5:25 PM, Neil Radicic wrote:
VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator)
I looked at the web site and saw this:

"Virtual Serial Ports Emulator is a FREEWARE program on 32 bit platform and can be used absolutely free for any purpose."

Have you ever used the 32 bit version?

73, Joe, K1ike

Andrew O'Brien

I have always liked VSPM by K5FR .  Free but only available by contacting the author via email and providing your call sign.
Andy K3UK 

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 5:54 PM Joe <k1ike_mail@...> wrote:
> VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator)

"Virtual Serial Ports Emulator is a FREEWARE program on 32 bit platform
and can be used absolutely free for any purpose."

73, Joe, K1ike

--
Andy

Neil Radicic

I believe I did try it and I can't remember having any problems with it - I decided to support good software development and get the paid version that was designed for my system (Windows 10 64bit) - I think it would be worth it to try the 32bit free version to see if it works and if you like the interface.

Neil
KD7UHR

Neil Radicic

Andy,

I looked at that and agree it could be a good free option - the one potential issue I saw though is the statement: 

Warning

VSP Manager - WILL NOT split ports. That means only one program can talk to the radio (or other program) at a time. If you need to split ports (which is a bad idea) then you need a different piece of software like VSPE or Eltima.

I ended up needing split port function for a couple of gateway operating scenarios (which wasn't a bad idea if you know what you are doing) so VSPE 64bit ended up being a good choice for me.

Neil
KD7UHR

Wa4kfz

Check out west mountain radio (rigblasters) at their download page. They have a utility called WMR device diagnostic utility that contains a COMport splitter. Not sure if it will work in your application but worth looking into. 

Mark wa4kfz 

On Apr 22, 2020, at 9:33 PM, Neil Radicic <neil.radicic@...> wrote:

Andy,

I looked at that and agree it could be a good free option - the one potential issue I saw though is the statement: 

Warning

VSP Manager - WILL NOT split ports. That means only one program can talk to the radio (or other program) at a time. If you need to split ports (which is a bad idea) then you need a different piece of software like VSPE or Eltima.

I ended up needing split port function for a couple of gateway operating scenarios (which wasn't a bad idea if you know what you are doing) so VSPE 64bit ended up being a good choice for me.

Neil
KD7UHR

Tony

All:

Thanks for the suggestions. I settled on VSP Manager from K5FR as Andy suggested. I used this software years ago on a 32 bit machine and it appears to be working fine on my Win10 / 64 bit PC.

Thanks again.

Tony -K2MO

Joe

I tried loading the 32 bit version from the website (SetupVSPE_32), but when I load it it comes up as the 64 bit version and requires a key. I tried twice, must be doing something wrong.

73, Joe, K1ike

On 4/22/2020 5:54 PM, Joe wrote:
VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator)
"Virtual Serial Ports Emulator is a FREEWARE program on 32 bit platform and can be used absolutely free for any purpose."
73, Joe, K1ike