Topics

VARA working under Wine!

K6ETA

OK, I finally got VARA to work on Mac and Linux!

This will only work on Intel or AMD (i386 type) processor systems, sorry, no ARM such as Raspberry Pi. It will work on most desktop systems, Macs and Windows tablets with an Atom processor.

Here's how I did it:

I used CrossOver to install a Wine Bottle for Window7 emulation and added the following components to that bottle:

MS DotNet 3.5sp1
MS DotNet 4.5sp1
MS Visual Basic 6 Runtime

Then installed the latest version of Winlink Express into that Wine Bottle. Then checked the box "Automatically install field-test (beta) versions of Winlink Express" in the "Winlink Express Setup" menu. After restart, the latest version of Winlink Express works with ARDOP, WINMOR and all other sessions except VARA.

For COM port support (rig control and PTT on certain USB cable-connected rigs) I next did this:

In a terminal issue the following commands:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Note: where it says ".wine" above, your wine bottle may be named differently)

Then I edited this file in the GUI isint a text editor (you will find it in the c_drive directory of your Wine Bottle):
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
Added these lines after "#arch-win32"
[Hardware\Devicemap\Serialcomm] 1131331688
"COM1"="COM1"
OK, now rig control works!

NOW THE HARDEST PART: Getting VARA to work

Download all of these files at ocxme.com:

MSCOMCTL.ocx
MSCHRT20.ocx
MSCOMM32.ocx
MSWINSCK.ocx
CDOSYS.dll
pdh.dll    <-- replaced this one by downloading from dlldownloader.com

And copied them into the following directory in your Wine Bottle (by showing the C: Drive or going into the invisible ".wine" directory):

~/[.wine bottle]/drive_c/windows/system32

THAT'S IT!

Notes:

On my Mac (using CrossOver) this Wine Bottle is here:

Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/BOTTLE NAME/drive_c

In Linux (also using the same CrossOverapplication) it's here:

~/Home/.cxoffice/BOTTLE NAME/dosdevices/cdrive/

Enjoy!

Steve K6ETA

K6ETA

Ooops, I fixed a few typos - re-posting with corrections.

OK, I finally got VARA to work on Mac and Linux!

This will only work on Intel or AMD (i386 type) processor systems, sorry, no ARM such as Raspberry Pi. It will work on most desktop systems, Macs and Windows tablets with an Atom processor.

Here's how I did it:

I used CrossOver to install a Wine Bottle for Windows7 emulation and added the following components to that bottle:

MS DotNet 3.5sp1
MS DotNet 4.5sp1
MS Visual Basic 6 Runtime

Then installed the latest version of Winlink Express into that Wine Bottle. Then checked the box "Automatically install field-test (beta) versions of Winlink Express" in the "Winlink Express Setup" menu. After restart, the latest version of Winlink Express works with ARDOP, WINMOR and all other sessions except VARA.

For COM port support (rig control and PTT on certain USB cable-connected rigs) I next did this:

In a terminal issued the following commands:

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Note: where it says ".wine" in any of these lines, your wine bottle may be named differently

Then I edited this file in the GUI using a text editor (you will find it in the c_drive directory of your Wine Bottle):
~/.wine/system.reg
Added these lines after "#arch-win32"

[Hardware\Devicemap\Serialcomm] 1131331688

"COM1"="COM1"

OK, now rig control works!

NOW THE HARDEST PART: Getting VARA to work

Download all of these files at ocxme.com:

MSCOMCTL.ocx
MSCHRT20.ocx
MSCOMM32.ocx
MSWINSCK.ocx
CDOSYS.dll
pdh.dll    <-- replaced this one by downloading from dlldownloader.com

And copied them into the following directory the your Wine Bottle (by showing the C: Drive or going into the invisible ".wine" directory):

~/[.wine bottle]/drive_c/windows/system32

THAT'S IT!

Notes:

On my Mac (using CrossOver) this Wine Bottle is here:

Library/Application Support/Crossover/Bottles/BOTTLE NAME/drive_c

In Linux (also using the same CrossOverapplication) it's here:

~/Home/.cxoffice/BOTTLE NAME/dosdevices/cdrive/

Enjoy!

Steve K6ETA

la7um

Steve
Does this actually indicate a next step, doing it all manually with only WINE for MAC and LINUX?
Finn LA7UM

K6ETA

Hi Finn,

It SHOULD work fine using just Wine and Winetricks, BUT for some reason winetricks has problems installing DotNET 4.5 - I kept getting errors saying it conflicts with DotNET 2.0 which is already installed. Even after starting fresh...

I just decided to use Crossover because it seems to install these components with ease. (Crossover costs USD $40 but it also allows almost all work to be done in the GUI for those who dislike the command line).

For anyone not running into the winetricks problems using DotNET, it should work just as well...

Steve K6ETA

On 03/11/2018 03:55 PM, la7um via Groups.Io wrote:
Steve
Does this actually indicate a next step, doing it all manually with only WINE for MAC and LINUX?
Finn LA7UM

Graham

Q  Is this process  automated now,  batch file ect  ? or  still  in the above, step by step  format ?

Tnx-Graham

g0nbd