VARA FM stations and repeaters are not compatible with new VARA FM versions #VARA

Graham

From  VARA  google  group

73-G

These VARA FM stations and repeaters are not compatible with new VARA FM versions.

I would recommend update to a new VARA FM version as soon as be possible to accept new connections

Outdated VARA FM stations.jpg

Andrew O'Brien

How is the use of VARA on FM going ? Is there a country where a resonance network of FM stations have developed ?

Andy

On Aug 6, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:

From  VARA  google  group

73-G

These VARA FM stations and repeaters are not compatible with new VARA FM versions.

I would recommend update to a new VARA FM version as soon as be possible to accept new connections

Outdated VARA FM stations.jpg

Andrew O'Brien

Reasonable , not “resonance “

Andy

On Aug 6, 2021, at 11:58 AM, Andrew O'Brien via groups.io <andrewobrie@...> wrote:

How is the use of VARA on FM going ? Is there a country where a resonance network of FM stations have developed ?

Andy

On Aug 6, 2021, at 10:23 AM, Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:

From  VARA  google  group

73-G

These VARA FM stations and repeaters are not compatible with new VARA FM versions.

I would recommend update to a new VARA FM version as soon as be possible to accept new connections

Outdated VARA FM stations.jpg

Oliver K6OLI

Hi Andy,

Here in SoCal we have a collaboration project we call the "VARA FM Autobahn". It connects Ventura, Los Angeles and San Diego County ARES groups and CREBC in Tijuana. The goals are to provide area coverage, leverage mutual aid and provide access to HF gateways for potential forwarding of out-of-area messages. Regional communications are important in SoCal, so we do try to provide multiple paths for traffic through VARA FM, Packet, AREDN Mesh and HF.

The Autobahn comprises of 10 gateways, which we leverage by having every user station enabled as a digipeater with SSID -4. Not sure if that counts as a "reasonable" number :-)

Jer K4WOF and his group in Florida have similar VARA FM network supporting their mission.

73 de Oliver K6OLI

Andrew O'Brien

Olivia , very interesting info. I will have to look in to whether there is anything like that in western New York . Last I checked , there were no FM VARA stations within 150 miles of my QTH.

Andy

On Aug 7, 2021, at 12:41 PM, Oliver K6OLI <km6dmf@...> wrote:

Hi Andy,

Here in SoCal we have a collaboration project we call the "VARA FM Autobahn". It connects Ventura, Los Angeles and San Diego County ARES groups and CREBC in Tijuana. The goals are to provide area coverage, leverage mutual aid and provide access to HF gateways for potential forwarding of out-of-area messages. Regional communications are important in SoCal, so we do try to provide multiple paths for traffic through VARA FM, Packet, AREDN Mesh and HF.

The Autobahn comprises of 10 gateways, which we leverage by having every user station enabled as a digipeater with SSID -4. Not sure if that counts as a "reasonable" number :-)

Jer K4WOF and his group in Florida have similar VARA FM network supporting their mission.

73 de Oliver K6OLI

Oliver K6OLI

There seem to be quite a few on the Canadian side:

Callsign: VA3ETN-10
Frequency: 144.930 MHz

Callsign: VE3ZPW-10
Frequency: 145.090 MHz
Frequency: 446.950 MHz

They look to be about 50-65km from your qth as per QRZ, mostly over water.
Kudos to our Canadian friends!

We recently did an exercise where we connected from mobile field stations (10W, N9TAX antennas) to the Tijuana gateways (25W, omni) from the L.A. area. That was around 220km (135miles).
Audio levels need to be set right with a good antenna 20+ ft in the air and good propagation helps. But it can be done.

73 de Oliver K6OLI