Topics

VARA FM settings for Icom ID-5100 #VARA

Tammy Waggoner

I am having trouble setting up VARA FM with my Icom Id-5100. The 5100 is not listed in the radio drop down box. Is there another option?

Andrew OBrien

I had the same issue , did not find a solution.

Just in the  process of  adding the  ID-5100   to vara list
BRB as they say

G,

Graham

33 mins  later  -)

Will be added  to the next  version  of  VARA-4  FM, to  be  released in  7  days

Work  around  , using the  existing CAT  listing

Select IC-7100, for example, and enter  8C in the Icom  CV-I  Address

Scott Currie

What sound card interface are you using that you need CAT PTT for the 5100? Just curious...

-Scott, NS7C

Graham

I assume  its the  same as the  IC7100  with  CAT
if so , the  tx/rx audio is  also via the  USB cat port ?

The usb audio  is preferable to  external  sound card
in any  case , especially  in the  wide  b/w modes

73-G

Scott Currie

The ID-5100 is a V/UHF dual band FM/D-Star transceiver. It does not have an internal sound card. I'm not even convinced it has much, if any, CAT support. So really not sure why you would need this support from Vara FM.

Also, as to your comment about the internal sound card for other wide B/W modes, this is also not true. On the IC-7100 for example, the internal sound card is limited to about 3kHz B/W, not near good enough for Vara FM Wide. I have tested this and it fails miserably, however, using an external device like a DRA, and setting the external rate to "9600", it then performs fine on Vara FM Wide.

For HF digital, the internal card is fine, and it also works OK for Vara FM Narrow mode.

-Scott, NS7C

. On the IC-7100 for example, the internal sound card is limited to about 3kHz B/W, not near good enough for Vara FM Wide. I have tested this and it fails miserably,
A month ago, a user was claiming to have good luck receiving 9600 with
the internal interface of the IC-7100. While skeptical, I'm
encouraged to hear that report and look forward to testing it myself
RSN.

Perhaps VARA_FM could have a split mode functionality where it
received at 9600+/high-bandwidth but transmitted at a lower and
narrower speed.

however, using an external device like a DRA, and setting the external rate to "9600", it then performs fine on Vara FM Wide.
For HF digital, the internal card is fine, and it also works OK for Vara FM Narrow mode.
73
Bill

Graham

Edited

Pre VARA , the average  data  interface , used transformer  coupling and served to  limit the  bandwidth and  introduce
various  oddities , fine for psk rtty etc, but conveying a complex signal, probably  was not to  common place , yes the modem can work around the  problem, but it  consumes resources ,  often, deployments, unwittingly,   had narrow b/w selected  , and it still  functioned , during  testing  50% b/w reduction , served only to  reduce the  rate .

So if  usb  direct  link is available , then , that's  optimum, if the  mode  wider , then its  obviously not ,  the  ic7100 has a  12 KHz b/w  option, described as IF-out  to  enable  DRM signals to  be  monitored , never  used it , assume it  uses the  cal-usb link , there is  also a data  tx bandwidth  setting, that is  not  documented , that  allows to  3.5 Khz b/w  but  for  some  reason, the  filter is centered on 1.5 KHz ..

video  showing  use of the  ic7100  IF feed ,  but ,  may be time  lag issue ..have to  check
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgs5XkW--t8

also  >> You don't have to go to this complex level to use DSD with a IC-7100, you can decode direct from the IC-7100 either via USB AF out or the DATA 2 port using the 9600 pin to the Line in or Mic port on a PC. Just remember to select 9600 in the Connectors menu and FM-D as the mode and away you go. Mike G1ZRN.

Two  ways then ...

Its not  immediately  clear as to the  5100  facilities , the  manual indicates  a  data  in/out  for  accessing the  DV mode, two models , one with and one without ?  and the  cv-i  address is listed , as is the  com port settings , rig control is not too  well  detailed

73-Graham