Topics

Time to abandon 14070-14073 ?

Andrew OBrien

With the crowded conditions cause by RTTY, FT4, FT8, JS8, ARDOP, Packet and Winlink traffic 14070 to 14106, I’m wondering if Olivia, PSK, Thor, MT63, MFSK and Domino should move to 14106 to 14109? There is a little Winlink there and tiny use of ALE there , but mostly unoccupied last I checked .

Andy K3UK

Hi Andy,

Other than stray FT8 ( some LSB) down at x73 seems like 70-74 still seems OK on both 40m and 20m. 14074 to 14080 and above pretty busy lots of the time. Let FT8/FT4 move up!

73, tom w7sua

On 7/5/2020 10:30 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
With the crowded conditions cause by RTTY, FT4, FT8, JS8, ARDOP, Packet and Winlink traffic 14070 to 14106, I’m wondering if Olivia, PSK, Thor, MT63, MFSK and Domino should move to 14106 to 14109? There is a little Winlink there and tiny use of ALE there , but mostly unoccupied last I checked .
Andy K3UK

Matthew Chambers NR0Q

I agree with Tom, it would be easier with newer radios to leave the suppressed carrier (dial) freq at x.074 and just expand the USB filter wider upwards. With the newest radios using DSP for the receiver bandpass filter, there's no reason we couldn't be looking at 4-6kHz of spectrum on WSJT-X/JTDX at one time and leave x.070-x.074 for more traditional keyboard to keyboard modes.

Matthew Chambers, CBT, NR0Q
Owner/Engineer
M Chambers Communications Engineering LLC
PO BOX 855, Moberly, MO 65270
Mobile (660)415-5620

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 11:02 AM Tom W7SUA <tom@...> wrote:
Hi Andy,

Other than stray FT8 ( some LSB) down at x73 seems like 70-74 still
seems OK on both 40m and 20m. 14074 to 14080 and above pretty busy lots
of the time. Let FT8/FT4 move up!

73, tom w7sua

On 7/5/2020 10:30 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
> With the crowded conditions cause by RTTY, FT4, FT8, JS8, ARDOP,  Packet  and Winlink traffic 14070 to 14106, I’m wondering if Olivia, PSK, Thor, MT63, MFSK and Domino should move to 14106 to 14109? There is a little Winlink there and tiny use of ALE there , but mostly unoccupied last I checked .
>
> Andy K3UK

Hi Matthew.

That does leave having to find a new location for the slowly growing JS8 folks as they use xxxx078 USB dial to interleave between JT9/FT8 and FT4. Just takes some real coordination between communities that do not seem to talk much to sort this out.

73 de tom w7sua

www.mchambersradio.com <http://www.mchambersradio.com/>