Q How to run windows software on windows operating system?

Graham

To support my [now vintage !] PK232MBX .... yes it can be run from a dumb terminal, but that's a dark art ..these days

I’ve a few 'comms' applications, that could be described as Legacy software that run fine under winxp , but fail to run on win10
The compatibility functions, provided within win10, fail to resolve the Problem, win10 applies the suggested ‘fix’ to the application, but the application[s] simply fails to run.

There are NO updated versions

Q Any ideas as how to run windows software on windows operating system?

Is there a windows emulator for windows , I suspect these packages took advantage of the various 'windows into windows' that have been closed as the issue's advanced . I can boot the pc into winXP-pro , from a separate drive , but its not ideal.

Brian Dale

Try running a VM (virtual machine).

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022, 12:31 Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:
To support my [now vintage !] PK232MBX .... yes it can be run from a dumb terminal, but that's a dark art ..these days

I’ve a few 'comms' applications, that could be described as Legacy software that run fine under winxp , but fail to run on win10
The compatibility functions, provided within win10, fail to resolve the Problem, win10 applies the suggested ‘fix’ to the application, but the application[s] simply fails to run.

There are NO updated versions

Q Any ideas as how to run windows software on windows operating system?

Is there a windows emulator for windows , I suspect these packages took advantage of the various 'windows into windows' that have been closed as the issue's advanced . I can boot the pc into winXP-pro , from a separate drive , but its not ideal.

James Clark

If they are MSDOS applications you can try DosBox:
https://www.dosbox.com/

Otherwise, as mentioned, install Virtual Box:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

And then install a version of XP under Virtual Box. You'll probably need the Virtual Box "Guest Additions" too - it not as complicated as it sounds :)

Finally you could dual boot your PC into W10 and/or XP but for occasional use I'd suggest the Virtual Box route.

N5VMO Pat

I remember using a "Dumb Terminal" with a real Serial Port hooked to a KPC-3 and or a KAM Termianal Node Controler ( TNC ) .... that I still have both and even an old BAYPAC TNC RS-232 serial port controller for Packet and after a bit used for early APRS =)  The days of RF BBS and node hopping =)   So to make a point the controler has a machine language ( OS ) writen onto a RAM chip inside the TNC to access with the "Dumb Terminal" with out any OS inside the monitor / keyboard box (s) =)

--
73's Pat  N5VMO