Topics

Need info on reliable refurbished computer source

Dave Corio

Finally have to admit my AMD dual-core and 4G RAM are outdated. Refurbished is the only option available for me right now.

Anyone have first-hand reports of a reliable source? Been checking Amazon primarily, and some of their "renewed" units look good, but not something I've ever delved into. Reviews on the site are pretty well split, and I don't want to get into something that I'll regret.

If it helps, I'm looking for an Intel quad-core with 16G RAM with either integrated or dedicated graphics that will drive two monitors. I do not need all the peripherals such as monitors and keyboard.

Thanks for any assistance!
Dave - K1DJE (ex-KB3MOW)

Andrew O'Brien

I was looking at those “renewed “ desktop PC’s myself . I’ve been using my current desktop for several years but it my be time for an upgrade . I was turned off
many of the reviews I saw on Amazon so will follow this thread and see what information others have about this topic

Andy K3uk

On Jun 4, 2020, at 9:51 AM, Dave Corio via groups.io <k1dje@...> wrote:

Finally have to admit my AMD dual-core and 4G RAM are outdated. Refurbished is the only option available for me right now.

Anyone have first-hand reports of a reliable source? Been checking Amazon primarily, and some of their "renewed" units look good, but not something I've ever delved into. Reviews on the site are pretty well split, and I don't want to get into something that I'll regret.

If it helps, I'm looking for an Intel quad-core with 16G RAM with either integrated or dedicated graphics that will drive two monitors. I do not need all the peripherals such as monitors and keyboard.

Thanks for any assistance!
Dave - K1DJE (ex-KB3MOW)

Ralph Mowery

I have had good luck buying them off ebay.  Looked at the feedback and found the higher rated ones.  Over the last 10 to 15 years I have bought 5 or 6 and only have 2 that have failed.  They both ran many years and were only turned off to move them around from place to place.

On Thursday, June 4, 2020, 12:42:18 PM EDT, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:

[...]

_.,_

Dave Corio

Andy, I'll give you first-hand info on Monday or Tuesday! XYL & I been doing business with Amazon for quite a few years and never had a problem. Looked closer, and all the reviews were at least 3 years old or more. Ended up ordering a refurb unit for $260 and should have it Monday.

Dell Optiplex 900
16G RAM
Intel quad core
3.1 GHz
1 Tb HDD
DVD drive
Wifi
Win 10 Pro (could be Home
10 USB ports

Maybe stupid of me, but I also got a 3-year warranty for an additional $35 in addtion to the 90-day Amazon warranty. Hate buying service contracts, but seemed like a good price for a piece of used equipment.

73
Dave - K1DJE

Sholto Fisher

Something like this would probably work Andy. I’ve bought from them in the past and had a good experience.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=607570&CatId=6

Sholto

K7TMG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

VE3GTC, Graham

have a look at Dell refurbished computers. These are computers that are only a few years old and back to DELL after being leased to some business or corporation:

good deals, good service in my experience.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

On Jun 4, 2020, at 9:51 AM, Dave Corio via groups.io <k1dje=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Finally have to admit my AMD dual-core and 4G RAM are outdated. Refurbished is the only option available for me right now.

Anyone have first-hand reports of a reliable source? Been checking Amazon primarily, and some of their "renewed" units look good, but not something I've ever delved into. Reviews on the site are pretty well split, and I don't want to get into something that I'll regret.

If it helps, I'm looking for an Intel quad-core with 16G RAM with either integrated or dedicated graphics that will drive two monitors. I do not need all the peripherals such as monitors and keyboard.

Thanks for any assistance!
Dave - K1DJE (ex-KB3MOW)

Don Coker

I have bought two Dell OptiPlexes and one Dell Laptop, all renewed off of Amazon. Stuck with Dell because it is easy to get the drivers and other support info. Both OptiPlexes arrived and worked as represented. The Laptop would not boot, so got a return authorization that cost me nothing and a credit back in 10 days. Got another Laptop and it worked just fine.  Overall, I have been happy.

73

Don KM6TRZ

[...]

Andy and any interested,

Got the "new" PC yesterday. So far I'm very impressed! It was packed well, clean, and the box contained everything listed. The computer itself was exactly as specified from Amazon, and so far has been easy to get set up (basics!) and running. Only another day or two to get all the ham software installed & running!

73
Dave - K1DJE

Rick Brown

ASUS E203MA is less than $200.00. I bought 2, one for the Mobile setup and one for an RMS Gateway.

Regards
Rick