Topics

Mode Signal (RSID)

Tony

Michael:

Apparently there is some kind of preamble or mode signal that can be
sent at the beginning of a transmission. I see that some stations use it and some don't. I don't have any idea what it is called, so I am unable to find where to configure it or turn it on or off. Michael WA7SKG

This video may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I

It covers practical information on how to use TX-RSID and RX-RSID and why mode identification is essential. It also covers some of the RS-ID options that are available in FLDIGI and other programs.

Tony -K2MO

la7um

Tony,
Just want to thank you for another great video.
This one with great general usefullnes.
I myself had missed the introductions of Video ID
Also distinct voice, almost like the old time VOA "Special English" in VOAs Jazz Hour.
Tanks
Finn LA7UM

Tony

Finn:

Thanks for the kind words. Patrick's mode identifier (RSID) is a wonderful tool, but it's still not used as often as it should be. It's puzzling because trying to determine which mode someone is sending by process of elimination can leave you numb : )

Here's the link again if anyone missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I

Thanks Finn.

Tony -K2MO

On 8/13/2018 7:07 PM, la7um via Groups.Io wrote:
Tony,
Just want to thank you for another great video.
This one with great general usefullnes.
I myself had missed the introductions of Video ID
Also distinct voice, almost like the old time VOA "Special English" in VOAs Jazz Hour.
Tanks
Finn LA7UM

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Tony, Finn an all,

For information, several years ago, I wrote a technical paper about RSID and VIDEO ID (in English and French):
http://f6cte.free.fr/RS_ID_English.pdf
http://f6cte.free.fr/RS_ID_francais.pdf

For about RSID on Multipsk, here is a specific paper (not recent neither):
http://f6cte.free.fr/The_RS_ID_easy_with_Multipsk.doc

For Spanish users (thanks to Joaquin EA4ZB)
Multipsk Identificadores Reed Solomon RS ID. Parte 1: http://youtu.be/czzgFAdMB3M
Multipsk vs Fldigi Identificadores RS ID Video ID https://youtu.be/yoCtxNdPptI

73
Patrick

Thanks for the kind words. Patrick's mode identifier (RSID) is a wonderful tool, but it's still not used as often as it should be. It's puzzling because trying to determine which mode someone is sending by process of elimination can leave you numb : )

Here's the link again if anyone missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I

Thanks Finn.

Tony -K2MO

On 8/13/2018 7:07 PM, la7um via Groups.Io wrote:
Tony,
Just want to thank you for another great video.
This one with great general usefullnes.
I myself had missed the introductions of Video ID Also distinct voice,
almost like the old time VOA "Special English" in VOAs Jazz Hour.
Tanks
Finn LA7UM

---

Patrick:

Thanks for posting this.

Tony -K2MO

On 8/14/2018 1:53 PM, Patrick Lindecker wrote:
Hello Tony, Finn an all,

For information, several years ago, I wrote a technical paper about RSID and VIDEO ID (in English and French):
http://f6cte.free.fr/RS_ID_English.pdf
http://f6cte.free.fr/RS_ID_francais.pdf

la7um

Patrick and Tony
Thanks Patrick for posting this extra and interesting info and Tony in the first place for getting my attention.
I earlier missed the great contribution to this by Patrick.    Extremely useful.

I and many others have benefitted by RS-ID a lot.
A special use to be mentioned has been VOA's weekly Radiogram test broadcasts for several years, and more recently by the successor SWRadiogram.net done by Kim KD9XB

73 de LA7UM Finn

Ham Radio

Ham Radio Deluxe supports RSID.

If you tune around 7.070 MHz you will hear stations use RSID for non “mainline” protocols such as Olivia and Contestia which have many options.

PSK31 is very easy to identify — no real need for RSID on that protocol.

73,  Bernie, VE3FWF