Topics

IS this Pactor 3 I have decoded ? #Pactor

Andrew OBrien

Please see https://youtu.be/One9QvqtvZE  .  I used Sorcerer V1.1 software and selected the PIII modem and decoded the signals on 80M this morning.  Is it really PIII or has the PII modem simply decoded a keyboard QSO that was in P1 ?

Andy:

Data is being received when the wide-band PSK carriers are being transmitted so it does appear to be Pactor-III. I believe Pactor-II uses 2 PSK carriers while Pactor-I uses 2 FSK tones.

Tony -K2MO

On 1/11/2019 10:34 AM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
Please see https://youtu.be/One9QvqtvZE  .  I used Sorcerer V1.1 software and selected the PIII modem and decoded the signals on 80M this morning.  Is it really PIII or has the PII modem simply decoded a keyboard QSO that was in P1 ?

Andy K3UK

KC9SGV

Sorcerer, hey ?
😀
I see the twin peak P1 leader.
Then some hash looking to be 1500 hz wide.
The ARRL signal description says  P2 can fit into 500 hz wide.
So, by inference, that looks and sounds like P3. (Max 2400 hz wide)

KC9SGV

On Jan 11, 2019, at 9:34 AM, Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

Please see https://youtu.be/One9QvqtvZE  .  I used Sorcerer V1.1 software and selected the PIII modem and decoded the signals on 80M this morning.  Is it really PIII or has the PII modem simply decoded a keyboard QSO that was in P1 ?

Thanks Tony, that is encouraging.  I decoded the first P3 looking signal I saw and that is the one I posted the link to.  It looks like keyboarding to me.  I was not able to decode any apparent Winlink traffic though.  I will try again.

Peter, the software is being described as "abandonware"  and is made freely available at http://www.kd0cq.com/2013/07/sorcerer-decoder-download/?fbclid=IwAR1vpWiog9wGvjtwy__9T8nXrnUJ2Or-u48ciwnqc8hbDs1BOSGWcDn3rdY

Andy:

It's definitely a keyboard QSO -- pretty rare for Pactor-III.

Tony -K2MO

On 1/11/2019 5:39 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
Thanks Tony, that is encouraging.  I decoded the first P3 looking signal I saw and that is the one I posted the link to.  It looks like keyboarding to me.  I was not able to decode any apparent Winlink traffic though.  I will try again.

Peter, the software is being described as "abandonware"  and is made freely available at http://www.kd0cq.com/2013/07/sorcerer-decoder-download/?fbclid=IwAR1vpWiog9wGvjtwy__9T8nXrnUJ2Or-u48ciwnqc8hbDs1BOSGWcDn3rdY

It seems the answer is "WINLINK sessions are not decodable as they use B2F compression"

Andy

B2 and B2F, like B1, are simply variations of LHA compression.

Matthew N8OHU

Andrew O'Brien

So nothing to do with decoding at all ?

Andy

On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:19 PM, Matthew Pitts via Groups.Io <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

B2 and B2F, like B1, are simply variations of LHA compression.

Matthew N8OHU

The receiving software simply reverses the compression based on provided parameters in the header, which is not compressed. It simply looks in a particular place in the header for what it needs.

Matthew N8OHU

Andrew O'Brien

Mathew , does keyboard PIII not have this compression , just PIII within Winlink ?

Andy K3UK

On Jan 11, 2019, at 9:55 PM, Matthew Pitts via Groups.Io <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

The receiving software simply reverses the compression based on provided parameters in the header, which is not compressed. It simply looks in a particular place in the header for what it needs.

Matthew N8OHU

Jeremy Allen

I know I'm late, but that's P3, specifically Speed level 1 and a few SL2's in there.  You can see it's SL1 with the 2 tones.

As far as compression, the modems have built in PMC or Huffman compression that can be applied to the data stream in K-K or BBS QSO's.  In Winlink these are suppressed and the software uses B2F compression and the modem just transmits the 8-bit data without additional compression.

Most K-K is on 40 or 20M, but I guess some folks are on 80M as well.
--
73 DE N1ZZZ