Topics

Inexpensive Multi-Band Receiver?

Rud K5RUD

Recommendations for an inexpensive multi-band receiver to use as input to my computer for digital signals. Something you might use for an iGate but not fixed frequency.

--

-73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD

Ralph Mowery

Look in the the SDR Play receiver module.  You do have to hook it to a computer but the software is often free to do many things with it.  It will cover from the audio frequencies to 2 ghz for only $ 120.

Ralph ku4pt

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 01:08:06 PM EDT, Rud K5RUD <rud.merriam@...> wrote:

Recommendations for an inexpensive multi-band receiver to use as input to my computer for digital signals. Something you might use for an iGate but not fixed frequency.

--

-73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
Mystic Lake Software

_._
_._,_._,_

James Clark

Another vote for SDR Play - perfect for your requirement.

Rud K5RUD

Thanks for the comments. Should have mentioned I'm on a Linux system. There is SDR for it. Still considering a stand-alone RX.

-73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
Mystic Lake Software

On 10/28/20 2:58 PM, James Clark wrote:
Another vote for SDR Play - perfect for your requirement.

Graham

Edited

Rud,

Really depends  on your  intended use , if by digital you  mean the  more normal  HF  beacon  and data  modes ,  any of the  cheap  dongle based set up's  should work  fine , $ no longer equate to  performance , some of the  web-sdr's  are  using  simple $10  dongles as the  rx  heads  , a simple  rtl  dongle will  tune  20 to 1500  MHz , with 2 MHz window

Though  not my preferred option**, any of the  up converters , gives  full  audio to  Ghz  , for not  very much

** signal path  is  then
 HF>>A/D  > pc

The latest batch of low band modes , have stability requirements beyond the  more simple set up's , progress ? may be not, as the effective RX numbers are reduced , but each to his own,  these  require additional  expenditure on  high stability reference oscillators and equipment that  accepts  external  reference inputs

Thomas Giella

The Tecsun PL-880 is a very good LW, MW, SW portable receiver for around $150.00 U.S. It has good selectivity, good sensitivity, multiple bandwidth filters and DSP noise reduction. Universal Radio sells it.

73,
Thomas W4HM

Rud K5RUD

Thanks for the suggestion. You're the first one not to suggest an SDR! Appreciate it.

-73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
Mystic Lake Software

On 10/30/20 9:33 AM, Thomas Giella wrote:
The Tecsun PL-880 is a very good LW, MW, SW portable receiver for around $150.00 U.S. It has good selectivity, good sensitivity, multiple bandwidth filters and DSP noise reduction. Universal Radio sells it.

73,
Thomas W4HM

Graham

Rud,

SDR- May be not quite ,  its based on a  single  chip ,  with  analog  front end , mixers , then  converts to
digital to  take care of the  filtering  , decoding etc , very much the  same as any of the  dongle based  sdr systems
unless you  pick up quite a  old  RX, the  analogue front end  >> digital  back  end  will  be the  general layout

As stand alone Rx , gets good  reports  ,  only possible down side for  data could be the  need to  use the  recovered audio from the  set, as previous, elimination, of as may items in the  signal path, will  reduce distortion , drift and improve  s/n

73-Graham

Wa4kfz

I think most of the recommendations for a SDR were also based on part of your initial comment:

“Something you might use for an iGate but not fixed frequency.”

By ‘not fixed frequency’ people assumed you were talking about a receiver that could be tuned without manual operator intervention (i.e., having to manually tune the radio if you change modes or frequency).

Regardless of single conversion, double conversion, etc. what you want in a receiver is good rejection of undesired signals as well as the ability to work well in high dynamic range environments. Once the DSP gets overloaded, DSP “math” falls apart rapidly and signal processing fails.

73,

Mark WA4KFZ

On Oct 31, 2020, at 1:30 PM, Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:

Rud,

SDR- May be not quite ,  its based on a  single  chip ,  with  analog  front end , mixers , then  converts to
digital to  take care of the  filtering  , decoding etc , very much the  same as any of the  dongle based  sdr systems
unless you  pick up quite a  old  RX, the  analogue front end  >> digital  back  end  will  be the  general layout

As stand alone Rx , gets good  reports  ,  only possible down side for  data could be the  need to  use the  recovered audio from the  set, as previous, elimination, of as may items in the  signal path, will  reduce distortion , drift and improve  s/n

73-Graham

<dummyfile.0.part>