From: Nils Schiffhauer <DK8OK@...>
Date: Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 4:35 AM
Subject: [UDXF] HFDL analysis made easy: Display Launcher
To: <UDXF@groups.io>

Hi - HFDL is the biggest HF network worldwide. Monitoring one active
channel, you will easily get >10.000 messages in 24 hours by >1.000
individual aircraft.
If you are decoding multitude channels in parallel, you will get >50.000
messages per day.

To keep an overview, Mike Simpson has developed a smart tool called
"Display Launcher" with sub-tools to organize HFDL messages from e.g.

Just this weekend, Mike has re-written parts of his indispensable tool
which takes care of the European sensibilities (where, however, the
BREXIT had already worked for the UK ...).
You can download it for free at:
http://www.agenetools.com/downloads-2.html
(bottom of the page)

First experiences this Sunday morning were very encouraging: no nagging
windows at start, no "looping through" of just one message so far -
thanks Mike for enriching the community!

Mike's software is capable to digest 25 input channels at once. Together
with an able SDR, Simon Brown's software V3, software VAC for setting up
Virtual Audio Cables and 25 instances of PC-HFDL, you can install a real
professional monitoring station. It will also disclose those aircraft,
deliberately suppressed by commercial web services (which, in turn, have
many other advantages/you have to use both in parallel).

A big "thank you" to Mike!

73 Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org

RICK WESTERFIELD

Hello,

  I think you might also be referring to this:

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/hfgcs.htm

  I have never seen that network run in anything but classified mode using government crypto keys.  Although, you might see the results of “soundings” for periodic Link Quality Analysis scoring of each network participant.  So you won’t see what data the packets are carrying but it could still be interesting to watch.  In the four years we had that on a USAF flight test aircraft, our overall average data rate was about 1200 bits per second (BPS) with occasional bursts of up to 8000 bps.   This was at 400 watts out of the airplane running a military-grade Rockwell STANAG 4539 modem.  Sunspots, then as now, were pitiful.

  Rockwell and others are also testing a few STANAG 5066 modem upgrades and I think they have a point-to-point network similar to SCOPE Command running between Cedar Rapids and someplace in Arizona.  All good results and faster BPS speeds I’m told.

  And fear not – none of this activity is in the ham bands.  These are all DOD / NTIA / Dept of Homeland Security granted freqs for testing.  These modes also do not need to comply with FCC rules for the 300 baud rule and they are not limited to a 3000 hertz channel bandwidth.

Rick – KH2DF

AFA6RW MARS