Topics

FT4 curve increasing

Ham Radio

Lots of FT4 activity on 20 and 40 meters from this part of the country (Ottawa) since the COVID19 crisis.

Lots of DX on 20 as well  if you don’t mind using FT4.

Checking 15 meters every day and nothing heard.

Lots of FT8 on 80 meters but little activity on FT4 ... strange.

Be safe!

73, Bernie,  VE3FWF

Andrew O'Brien

Thanks.  I've been social distancing but will check FT4 action out for some DX.

73 de Andy K3UK

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 9:54 PM Ham Radio <bernard.murphy@...> wrote:
Lots of FT4 activity on 20 and 40 meters from this part of the country (Ottawa) since the COVID19 crisis.

Lots of DX on 20 as well  if you don’t mind using FT4.

Checking 15 meters every day and nothing heard.

Lots of FT8 on 80 meters but little activity on FT4 ... strange.

Be safe!

73, Bernie,  VE3FWF

Vincent LECLER

Hi Bernie,

Active on FT4 on 80m and 30m (less QRM !)

Hope to cu on

73 de Vincent

https://f5oih.wordpress.com/accueil/

--
73's
Vincent Lecler F5OIH

EB4Z

Hi all:

Please don't let anyone understand this as a criticism of people who use FT4 mode.

Actually in this time of confinement by the Covid and Unfortunately it has hit my family, I haven't read much about it but as far as I know, FT4 mode is a mode only for contests.

If this has changed, please have someone explain it to me and get me out of my error.

I recently heard about an upcoming contest on FT4-FT8. I observe its rules and I don't know how you can pass serial numbers in these modes, as well as I don't understand that someone can suggest for these modes this example of frequencies: Suggested frequencies are: 3.590-3.600, 7.080-7.100, 14.130-14.150, 21.130-21.150 and 28.160-28.200 MHz.

I think if I have left something along the way, because I am really confused. I have the feeling that everyone is setting their own standards for themselves.

I don't know if any of you agree with this approach

Please, someone can give me some idea.
Sorry about my English, I needed help from an online translator
Joaquin EB4Z
(ex-EA4ZB)

El mié., 15 abr. 2020 a las 11:14, Vincent LECLER (<vlecler@...>) escribió:

[...]

Hello Joaquin.

FT4 and FT8 can be used for contesting but the majority of QSOs are for working awards such as DXCC, WAS, etc. and of course,  just having fun without a fancy antenna setup.

The WSJT-X program has all the various frequencies for each mode and band pre-programmed .

Automatic alerting can be used with the JTAlert program — it is quite an impressive program.  Automatic logs can also be produced.

I have  WAS on JT65, 49 confirmed states on FT8 and 44 confirmed states on FT4.  HI is always the tough one.

I use the WSJT-X -> JTAlert -> Ham Radio Deluxe  logging program.   Works great.

Check out the various groups.io groups for more information. Lots of good information and friendly help.

Be safe.
--
73, Bernie,  VE3FWF

Chuck K4RGN

I am not a contester, but I've got 100 FT4 QSOs in my log (and over 7000 FT8 QSOs). At peak times the standard FT8 frequencies are full of signals and it's impossible to operate without QRMing other hams. FT4 doesn't perform as well as FT8 when signals are very weak, but FT4 is good enough. I've noticed a lot more activity on FT4 since COVID-19 set in. However, the standard FT4 frequencies aren't full yet. When FT8 is too busy, I'm running FT4 more often.

73, Chuck, K4RGN

EB4Z

Hi, Bernie:

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I'm a little off my game.

I like more "traditional" modes like psk, rtty, etc, although I also work in remote mode on FT8.

However, I always thought ft4 was developed for contests.

Thanks for your answer and please be very careful
Joaquin EB4Z
(ex-EA4ZB)

El jue., 16 abr. 2020 a las 3:11, Ham Radio (<bernard.murphy@...>) escribió:
Hello Joaquin.

FT4 and FT8 can be used for contesting but the majority of QSOs are for working awards such as DXCC, WAS, etc. and of course,  just having fun without a fancy antenna setup.

The WSJT-X program has all the various frequencies for each mode and band pre-programmed .

Automatic alerting can be used with the JTAlert program — it is quite an impressive program.  Automatic logs can also be produced.

I have  WAS on JT65, 49 confirmed states on FT8 and 44 confirmed states on FT4.  HI is always the tough one.

I use the WSJT-X -> JTAlert -> Ham Radio Deluxe  logging program.   Works great.

Check out the various groups.io groups for more information. Lots of good information and friendly help.

Be safe.
--
73, Bernie,  VE3FWF

Graham

 I observe its rules and I don't know how you can pass serial numbers in these modes,

I would think, that's impossible as there  not sending plain text
just pattern recognition , or ''structured messages'' a beacon
in any other definition ?

EB4Z

Hi Graham:

4 – Exchange

4.1 United States: Signal report and State (except KH6 and KL7).
4.2 Canada: Signal report and Province.
4.3 DX: Signal report and consecutive serial number, starting with 001 (including KH6 and KL7).

Joaquin EB4Z
(ex-EA4ZB)

El jue., 16 abr. 2020 a las 21:27, Graham (<g0nbd@...>) escribió:
 I observe its rules and I don't know how you can pass serial numbers in these modes,

I would think, that's impossible as there  not sending plain text
just pattern recognition , or ''structured messages'' a beacon
in any other definition ?

Is it possible to  exchange a  plain text  message  ?

Could you  send , ''my cat is  black''  That's   15 chrs inc spaces as  1 chr   plain text
non radio  related , [unless you  use a cat's  whisker detector ] ''ur sn 12345'' etc ?

I really  don't know,  it gatherers call's like there is  no  tomorrow that's  for  sure !

Ham Radio

Yes you can exchange text.

Lately, I finish each FT4 QSO with “BE SAFE 73”

--
73, Bernie,  VE3FWF

Graham

Tnx Bernie ,

What are the  limitations, how many  chr may be  sent  ?
is it clearing the  full  text  input at  every   Tx ?

looking at the  ft8  signals ,the  tx looks to  last  round 11 or  12  seconds
4 is half that  ?