Topics

sticky Customize the group to suit your interests

Andrew O'Brien

The new group allows us to avoid some of the contentious issues that caused group friction in the past.  Some users loved debating policy issues (like Pactor), some hated it.  Some loved LOTS of traffic to their in-box and some only wanted a few items.  Some got tired of the same old posts from certain individuals.  The new group lets  YOU (and the moderators) more easily control that via "hashtags"  or simply "tags"

Example

"Hashtags let you control and organize your archives. Tags can have an expiration; threads with those tags will be automatically deleted after the specified time. Tags can also be set as no email, for when you want to include messages in the archive but you don't want to have them sent to the group. Tags can be restricted to a predefined set. And of course the archives are searchable by tag."

"you can mute individual threads and hashtags. And we have a set of powerful subscription options. You can receive every message. Or you can opt to receive only the first message in a thread, with the option to follow the thread later. Or you can opt to receive only messages in threads that you start. Finally, you can opt to receive no emails at all."

I added a few to get us started.  It will help all in the long run.  More to discover.

as you can see, the end of each message gives you some "mute" options.

Andy K3UK

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff <jwalden@...>

I appreciate the move from yahoo groups. Personally  I have been dropping yahoo and moving to just about any forum resembling forum structures available elsewhere ... hamradioforum, eham.net (not my fav but still better than yahoo), qrz, etc. This applies to various other interests from guns, cars, computer, physics, si-list, yadda yadda yadda. I received 20 to 30 birthday greetings from many of those forums just to give a notion how many I am a member of and have been for years. Of course, I am not active on all concurrently as that depends on what I am doing. For instance, I build my own computers. And, when in computer build mode, I suddenly come alive on the ... maybe 5 different computer forums to find out about the faster motherboard/memory/cpu combos. Similar for ham radio, tho less so as the options are not as plentiful nor is the pace nearly as fast. Ham radio forums has become, "what modes are actually being used?". And, "what modes have some chance of some conversation versus a drive by shooting?" I am not interested in the old AM mode filibusters, but just a signal report to some distant location can kind of be had without a person at the other end (and would be more accurate).

What I have liked about those forums is the ability to easily find my last post (in the case I chose not to get auto updates for a thread) as well as the latest active threads. I also very much like the categorization that some sys ops have utilized to organize the threads. Even the ARRL does this although that forum is mostly dead.

I used to use twitter & facebook. I originally imagined twitter to ge a way to get a great deal of info directly from experts. Which is true, but there is such a cacophony of stuff that it (twitter) was not useful. Facebook had possibilities, but I felt that I was flaunting my geekiness in the face of my non-geeky actual friends. In short, I dumped all that is twitter but still have an account and unfollowed all that was not related to my friends.

So Andy, I like your attempt. It is a very new interface and I am as yet uncertain whether I can customize it to the look & feel of those other non-yahoo forums that will try to do.

Thanks,

--
-Jeff N1CZ

Pat Thompson

So now I'm subscribed to a group but I don't have a log on to groups.io ???

What exactly got migrated from Yahoo?

Pat
wa4tuk

On 1/2/2017 9:11 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
[...]

An interesting question Pat.  Yahoogroups facilitates the bulk export of their list database.  I wonder if Group.io though gives people a choice of beingh signed up,

Hello,

The transfer of your Yahoo Group digitalradio to your Groups.io group digitalradio is complete.

We've transferred the following parts of your group:

  • Members
  • Messages
  • Photos
  • Files
  • Links
  • Databases

Here are some statistics:

  1. Total Members Processed: 4731
  2. Successfully Added: 3920
  3. Bounced Members (Skipped): 802
  4. Moderated Members: 2518
  5. Members on Digest: 654
  6. Undisclosed Emails (Skipped): 0

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 04:53 pm, Pat Thompson wrote:

[...]

Tried to logon at groups.io.  Found that my email address was already in use. I had no password. Sent a reset link to my email on file. Set a password.

Maybe this will work out. I suspect members will want a logon to access files, photos, etc. A few will need coaching.

Pat
wa4tuk