Topics

Chat Mode Band Segment Change?

Tony

All:

The growing popularity of FT-8 seems to have increased to the point where many users are forced to occupy more bandwidth than one would have predicted. In effect, it's reduced the amount of spectrum around the 20 meter chat-mode watering hole which is now squeezed between PSK31 and FT8 users.

One solution would be to move the chat-mode calling watering hole from 14074 to 14078/79. That would alleviate crowding while giving more wiggle room to the expanding FT-8 users.

I'm happy to see the enthusiasm for FT-8 or anything else that keeps the ham bands active, but it may be time to re-think things a bit to avoid unnecessary congestion.

Any thoughts?

Tony -K2MO

YT9TP - Pedja

On 24.07.2018 03:16, Tony wrote:
The growing popularity of FT-8 seems to have increased to the point where many users are forced to occupy more bandwidth than one would have predicted. In effect, it's reduced the amount of spectrum around the 20 meter chat-mode watering hole which is now squeezed between PSK31 and FT8 users.
One solution would be to move the chat-mode calling watering hole from 14074 to 14078/79. That would alleviate crowding while giving more wiggle room to the expanding FT-8 users.
I'm happy to see the enthusiasm for FT-8 or anything else that keeps the ham bands active, but it may be time to re-think things a bit to avoid unnecessary congestion.

Congestion is actually a good thing. Finally, there is some limitation for that fully automated mode that requires no skill.

Pedja YT9TP

(Moderator note) As much as we may not care for a particular mode and how it works, let's try to refrain from discouraging the use of any particular mode. The whole point of this group is to discuss them all, whether we particularly like them or not.