Topics

AMTOR?

Andrew J. O'Brien <obrienaj@...>

I have not heard an AMTOR signal in ages, has AMTOR become extinct?

Andy KB2EOQ

Nick Fedoseev <nf@...>

Hello Andrew,

Friday, May 12, 2000, you wrote:

Andrew> I have not heard an AMTOR signal in ages, has AMTOR become extinct?

I heard AMTOR twice last year :-)

Best regards,
Nick mailto:nf@...

Les Warriner <leswa7ham@...>

Like CW?
.
.
.At 04:26 PM 05/12/2000 +0300, you wrote:

Hello Andrew,

Friday, May 12, 2000, you wrote:

Andrew> I have not heard an AMTOR signal in ages, has AMTOR become extinct?

I heard AMTOR twice last year :-)

Best regards,
Nick mailto:nf@...

Nick Fedoseev <nf@...>

Hello Les,

Friday, May 12, 2000, you wrote:

Les> Like CW?

No, I heard CW much more often in the region of 14060..14112 :
- beacons on 14100,
- CWIDs anywhere,
- CW QSOs, mainly during CW contests

:-)

Andrew> I have not heard an AMTOR signal in ages, has AMTOR become extinct?

I heard AMTOR twice last year :-)

Best regards,
Nick mailto:nf@...

Andrew OBrien

Ha!  As we start a new decade, here is our first post to this email group from the year 2000!

Andy K3UK (ex KB2EOQ)

Graham

I still  have the  pk232-mbx  , wired  up  , but  I  doubt the  bands are  in
any condition to  make  contact ,  used to  take  200/ 250  watts to  work the  usa
east coast on  7

Though,  interestingly , intrems of  a  ARQ   qso  , the   latest  version
of the  VARA Hf modem  is now  MFSK  in the  lower  speed  ranges
and coupled to a  'CHAT'  module , provides , 'traditional  qso'

Unregistered, the  modem  is limited to  170 bauds  and  MFSK
only ,  being phase  cont ,  can be used  with  qrp   class  E/D
systems , has excellent  low  s/n signal functionality , much lower
than amtor , more like  olivia ***

A work-round is to   un-register ,  ie  just enter a   'wrong key'
this  locks the  modem  and you  have a  simple  mfsk
chat mode  , with  full  ARQ ,   the  new  MONITOR
function , provides off air  text  recovery , there is  no
FEC mode  as such .

Re entering  a valid key , restores functions ,   its not needed
to  un-register , only if the  TX is  none linear ie QRP etc

*** Olivia has  phase component in the modulation
scheam , and requires linear TX/RX path

73-Graham
G0nbd

Andrew OBrien

Interesting Graham.  I'll have to update my VARA software.

Ok Andy

A lot work  went into the  vara modem,  I'm  sure there  are  many  more uses , that  just sending  e-mail and files ,
The   'wrong key , is not an  official  mod,  but,  it occured to  me, that  it opens up other possibilities , by  retaining the
phase continuous mfsk  modem

The  'chat'  module  , handels  the  Tx/Rx control , with listings  of  Rigs and  com-port options ,  allowing  for  new equipment to  be  added  , without updating the  main modem,  which ,  causes knock on effects for  some time  ..

Direct keyboard  entry is via the  chat module , it also  has a  file  attachment facility  as well ,
The tx and rx text is  scrolled  in the  chat app , with  indication , the  text  has been  'delivered'

Sort of  half / full duplex ,as the  link  direction , is under the  control of the modem,
inputted text   is  simply  forwarded , as and when the  qsb allows , from each side of the  link ..
arq  / speed changes remain  as normal , these is  no  . Tx/Rx  selection ,once the  link is
established ,  flow  commences

Novel  feature, files may be  simply  delivered to a station , much the  same as a  mail box
connect  to  , send ,  disconnect ,  the  file is  stored at  the  remote ,

The  monitor  function is  provided  on the  main modem  app , selecting   monitor,  the   ''mid section'' ,  speed/s/n display
changes to  'scrolling text' display , this  could be utilised  in a net  situation,  providing off  air  copy  of other  stations ,  it appears to  incorporate  the  ARQ function ,  providing 'just'  plain  text

I would  suspect,  where olivia is  used as qso  mode,   vara [ locked or open]  would  provide  faster  and  reliable  qso's
though  at 2k fixed  b/w , once  link is  established , the  change over / re-lock  time ., [determined by the  FEC  and  syn  time] , is  eliminated , as the  modem is  'locked'

Be interesting to hear  how  it  performs ,  ''out of water'' ,

Digital voice ?