Windows 10 "listen to this device" option for VAC uses ?

Andrew OBrien

In the old days, we used to choose a "listen to this device" option in the Windows "Recording" tab when wanting to hear the audio that VAC was piping to our digital mode software.  I looked again for this option in Windows 10 and do not see it.  Any suggestions?

Andy K3UK

Ralph Mowery

Use two computers and pipe the sound from one to the other.

You can try this program.  Seems to work fair for me sometimes.

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 12:08:51 PM EST, Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

In the old days, we used to choose a "listen to this device" option in the Windows "Recording" tab when wanting to hear the audio that VAC was piping to our digital mode software.  I looked again for this option in Windows 10 and do not see it.  Any suggestions?

Andy K3UK
_._,_._,_
._,_._,_

There was something  odd  round  win10  and the  ic7100  missing  one of the  usb audio  feeds  , needing the  device in windows to be  'identified'  or similar .. there are two  or three  layers to the  audio  set  up .. just trying to  pick up  the  posts   , either  rsgb-tech  or the  7100  group ..icom uk had no idea at the  time , probably  post  win-upgrade

Andy -  May or may  not  be the  same ,  this was the  resolve of the  missing   ''one of the '' audio  usb links from the  ic7100 ..full  final,post  in 7100  group ..may be the  same for the  audio  cable ..

73-G

Problem solved

 The  audio  codec  from the  7100    lists as  microphone ,  whereas  'all' the  apps   where  authorised  to

Use   ‘the’  pc  microphone ,

 There  is  a  separate , more  detailed authorisation   field  , in the  ''Manage  sound  devices''

I suspect , the  default  setting  was / is  Disable .. the  7100  was set to  disable
[probably a  default , set when  win-10  overlayed  win-7]

Setting  to  Enable ,  codec is  now  listed as microphone ,  and showing in the  device input lists

So, there  are  actually  , TWO  microphone  checks  on the  pc

First the  audio  mic plugged into the  pc mother  board  sound  port
second,  the  7100  codec  showing  as  microphone in the  listing
which , has independent  enable  function .

John G8BPQ

Windows often has a "Stereo Mix" device to receive what you are sending. On a couple of machines it disapeared with an update, but these ideas fixed it (One on each machine)

https://thegeekpage.com/stereo-mix/

73,
John G8BPQ

On 22/12/2020 17:08, Andrew OBrien wrote:

In the old days, we used to choose a "listen to this device" option in the Windows "Recording" tab when wanting to hear the audio that VAC was piping to our digital mode software.  I looked again for this option in Windows 10 and do not see it.  Any suggestions?

Edited

Yes  good  point  John

With this  ''not selected'' it's  not possible to route  audio  from  a  app  running  on
say  sdr &  fire fox  to data  app  , vara ,  fldigi  etc  using the  internal  audio routing

Selecting , allows the  windows  mixer to  be  selected as  audio  in

Then  there  is  a  listen to this  device option, which if  activated  caused  [on my]  win10 set up
something  like a ' wem copicat'  effect , loop round  delayed  audio
feed  back ..all for  free  ..

Applicable to System audio  , as opposed to  device  audio -?

73- Graham