How to install VARA HF on Kubuntu on WINE - Need help ! #WinLink #RMSexpress #VARA #ros #varim

BruceN

Thanks Serge,

It does help.

BruceN / K4TQL

Serge Robitaille

Bruce,

I have installed WINE following these instructions : https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

The I have replaced the pdh.dll following the instructions in the previous url discussed.

Vara launched without error afterward BUT I launch it first before launching WinlinkExpress. So in my case, its a 2 step process.

Hope this help ?

Serge VA2SR/ZL

BruceN

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 09:34 PM, Serge Robitaille wrote:
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/92142283-idea-for-installing-old-pdh-dll-for-nt-4-0
Serge,

Was that all that you needed to do?  Were there other instructions to go along with what you cited?

BruceN / K4TQL

Serge Robitaille

Got it working on a 32bits architecture with Rafael's help.
VARA 4.0.6 requires the following dll modification in System32 (https://www.bountysource.com/issues/92142283-idea-for-installing-old-pdh-dll-for-nt-4-0)
Ros is in the loop...maybe the both of them will address this issue in the next version of Vara.
Hope this help

Graham

Edited

Ros suggests  contact , by email  :-

Rafael Dinitz:  rafael  AT   riseup.net

73-Graham

BruceN

The indication of the problem occurs in the first line.  I've gotten VARA to work on ONE machine.  Not so successful on three others of varying vintages.  I'm using Linuxmint 20.0 and 19.3.  I'm also using Crossover Linux because it is so much easier to use than Wine.  I have also tried Wine with even less success.

The "unimplemented function" is listed in the DLL when it is examined but it appears that it is NOT implemented in code.  Now, I've got to figure out why it works on one machine and not on others.  BTW, on that one machine, it works only in a 32 bit bottle.  Chokes on a 64 bit bottle.

BruceN / K4TQL

Serge Robitaille

Hi,

I struggling with installing RMSExpress and Vara. Winlink.org points to K6ETA instructions that for some reasons works for installing RMSExpress but does not for VARA (Vara does not launches...looks like its missing instruction on installing vara.exe ?!).

So I used WINE to run the VARA Installation download...now I can launch Vara but it stops immediately with the err (see attachment).

Ultimately, I would like to install vARIM but I have to get VARA working first...then I will need to figure out how to compile vRIM for my Kubuntu 20.04 64bits box !

Any hints anyone ?