"RTTY and Data" band plans ?

Andrew O'Brien

I'm forgetting some of the band plans for digital modes .  In looking at the ARRL's band plans  it lists wide swaths of bandwidth simply as "CW, RTTY/Data ".  For example 14.000 to 14150 . I never hear any digital modes from the USA below 14066.  Can any digital modes (attended) operate as low as 14.003?

Ralph Mowery

As long as the signal and sidebands are still above 14.000 you can legally  operate there.  14.003 may be pushing it, but around 14.005 to 14.010 should be ok .  Again you have to be careful and not talk about the dial frequency , but what is actually coming out of the transmitter.

Lets say your dial is at 14.003.  Using some modes and tones and side band selection, you could push the signal below 14.000, but using the other sideband  would be fine as the signal would start at 14.003 and shift higher.

I would not really want to operate anything but CW that low to keep the  CW operators happy.

Ralph ku4pt

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 09:27:09 AM EDT, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:

I'm forgetting some of the band plans for digital modes .  In looking at the ARRL's band plans  it lists wide swaths of bandwidth simply as "CW, RTTY/Data ".  For example 14.000 to 14150 . I never hear any digital modes from the USA below 14066.  Can any digital modes (attended) operate as low as 14.003?
_.

Sure but just no one does unless perhaps a sked. Especially if being polite and using narrow modes. Would think random CQs down there would not bear much fruit. Per the FCC regs it is after all the "data subband."

73, tom w7sua

On 10/8/2020 6:24 AM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
I'm forgetting some of the band plans for digital modes .  In looking at the ARRL's band plans  it lists wide swaths of bandwidth simply as "CW, RTTY/Data ".  For example 14.000 to 14150 . I never hear any digital modes from the USA below 14066.  Can any digital modes (attended) operate as low as 14.003?

Thanks Tom and Ralph.  Yes, I agree I would need to make sure I am not out of band with my signal.  I don't intend to drop that far down.  However, it has occurred to me that I might sneak below 14065 to operate some digital modes including FT8  IF I had a 'sked" with someone, just to get away from the maddening crowd.  Just for a few minutes. Never on a weekend unless on a WARC band.
Andy K3UK

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM Tom W7SUA <tom@...> wrote:
Sure but just no one does unless perhaps a sked. Especially if being
polite and using narrow modes. Would think random CQs down there would
not bear much fruit. Per the FCC regs it is after all the "data subband."

73, tom w7sua

On 10/8/2020 6:24 AM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:

> I'm forgetting some of the band plans for digital modes .  In looking at
> the ARRL's band plans  it lists wide swaths of bandwidth simply as "CW,
> RTTY/Data ".  For example 14.000 to 14150 . I never hear any digital
> modes from the USA below 14066.  Can any digital modes (attended)
> operate as low as 14.003?
> --
> Andy K3UK

Cliff Fox (KU4GW) <cliffku4gw@...>

Hey Andy!
                Below are the ARRL and IARU Region 2 Band plans for the 20 Meter Band. Source of info is on the images below. I just got the one from the ARRL website, but have had the IARU band plan dated October 16, 2016 in a PDF file I downloaded and saved on May 5, 2019. It shows RTTY starting at 14.070 and the IARU region 2 band plan shows DM (Digital Modes) starting at 14.070 also.The bottom image shows both the currency and proposed ARRL band plans with the latter not having been accepted by the FCC yet. The proposed band plan shows 14.105 to 14.150 for RTTY, Narrow and Wide bandwidth data and all ACDS stations.

ARRL_20_Meter_Bandplan_Oct_09_2020.jpg

IARU_Region_2_20M_Bandplan_Oct_14_2016.jpg

ARRL Current and Proposed 20 Meter Band Plans.jpg

Very 73 de Cliff, KU4GW
Proud Member of the ARRL A-1 Operator Club (*Elected to Full Membership April 11, 2012
DMC # 6362
FT8-DMC #07470
FELD HELL # 0062
"It's not the class of license that the Amateur holds that matters, it's the class of the Amateur who holds the license!"