Interfacing an FT2500M ? #PTT_Issues #yaesu

Andrew OBrien

A local new ham has asked for assistance in setting up Fldigi for use with his only 2M radio , an FT2500M. He will experiment with the various Fldigi modes using FM. I can help him with most aspects of Fldigi but I have no knowledge about building an interface that would handle audio tones in and out of the rig , nor any rig control or PTT circuits.  Anyone have knowledge I this?  I'm assuming the manual will have some info but have no looked at a manual yet. 
Andy K3UK 

Sholto Fisher

Andy,

If he doesn’t feel like homebrewing an interface he might look at the RIGblaster Nomic which comes with cables that will fit the FT-2500M and includes a usb sound card dongle for $69.95

Nomic - http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=nomicu_comp_usb

Hook up diagram - http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigblaster-diagram.php?rb=D-959&brand=Yaesu&model=FT-2500M

Full disclosure: I work for West Mountain Radio but the Nomic is a very inexpensive way to get on digital modes.

Sholto

K7TMG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 8:18 AM
To: main@digitalradio.groups.io
Subject: [digital-mode-radio] Interfacing an FT2500M ? #yaesu #PTT_Issues

A local new ham has asked for assistance in setting up Fldigi for use with his only 2M radio , an FT2500M. He will experiment with the various Fldigi modes using FM. I can help him with most aspects of Fldigi but I have no knowledge about building an interface that would handle audio tones in and out of the rig , nor any rig control or PTT circuits.  Anyone have knowledge I this?  I'm assuming the manual will have some info but have no looked at a manual yet. 
Andy K3UK 

K4SPB

Another option are the easy digi boards on eBay and a usb sound card. Then you’ll need some mono 3.5 mm cables, an rj12 jack, and some solder but you could get hooked up for less than $20. 

Andrew OBrien

Hi Sholto, hope you are well. Actually, he is a local club member and you may recall that the club has an Rigblaster Advanatage  which is not being used.  I will suggest he borrow that for a while. if that would work the same as a Nomic. It has been years since i played with digital mode hardware. 
Andy K3UK

Sholto Fisher

Andy,

All well here, thanks.

Yes, the Advantage will work with the FT-2500M too. There isn’t a plug in jumper module for this radio so he will have to wire the pattern manually using the jumper wires which came with the RIGblaster.

The pattern to use is this one (attached)

http://www.westmountainradio.com/images/content/radio_db_diagrams/jumpers/28-1.gif

Sholto

K7TMG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 9:20 AM
To: main@digitalradio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [digital-mode-radio] Interfacing an FT2500M ? #yaesu #PTT_Issues

Hi Sholto, hope you are well. Actually, he is a local club member and you may recall that the club has an Rigblaster Advanatage  which is not being used.  I will suggest he borrow that for a while. if that would work the same as a Nomic. It has been years since i played with digital mode hardware. 
Andy K3UK

Graham

Cheap usb sound card and vox Andy, 

Big problem's with audio bandwith , using the many audio interfaces, especial at vhf, with the high speed 
Modes,  many of the vara installations are bandwith limited, due to audio conditioning , there is  actually no 
Need , especially,  the 9.6k  replacement version , 

Ptt cat ? 

73 Graham 
G0nbd