[TS-590S] TS-590 Family Resources Page: October 2017 Update

Ian_Wade_G3NRW <g3nrw-radio@...>

TS-590 Family Resources Page: October 2017 Update

LATEST NEWS

*New this month*

Several people, including myself, have experienced issues
lately with device drivers being silently replaced with
different versions following Windows 10 updates. In particular
this has sometimes stopped serial link drivers (for example,
for FTDI USB adapters or Silicon Labs USB drivers) working
properly. Result: much head-scratching!

The problem is that Windows searches suppliers’ sites for
their latest drivers. Most times this is the sensible thing to
do, but occasionally the latest driver has a bug that prevents
it working properly. In this case you may want to retain an
earlier version that does work, and wait for the supplier to
fix the bug.

So, “all” you need to do is remove any old drivers from the
system, then re-install the version you want. Then tell
Windows not to override your wanted version. I have now added
a HOWTO to the Resources site with step-by-step instructions
explaining how to do this. Click on HOWTOs
<http://g3nrw.net/TS-590/?page_id=256>, and download HOWTO
#30: “HOWTO install Windows 10 Device Drivers”.

Also, last month’s warning about an out-of-date Kenwood driver
page is worth repeating:

*USB Serial Port VCP Drivers — Kenwood page out of date
*

Some people have recently reported difficulties in losing the
current VCP driver after a Windows 10 update. This is not
helped by Kenwood’s _Virtual COM Port Driver_
<http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/vcp_e.html>
page dated 20 May 2016 being out of date. Ignore the link at
the bottom of that page to fetch the Kenwood CP210x Windows
Drivers. Instead, go straight to the _Silicon Labs CP210x USB
to UART Bridge VCP Drivers_
<https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers>
page, which always has the latest drivers.

Also new this month: link to a WSJT-X configuration guide from
LAMCO Ltd. Click on VIDEOS <http://g3nrw.net/TS-590/?page_id=1649>

*Updates this month*

Just one update this month, to the WSJT-X listing. The link
now points to Release Candidate RC3. Click on OTHER SOFTWARE
<http://g3nrw.net/TS-590/?page_id=323>

Finally, as ever, I welcome any new links to documents, slide
presentations, YouTube videos, hardware, software etc. that
will be of interest to TS-590SG and TS-590S owners, for
posting on the TS-590 Family Resources Page. Also, let me know
of files you have posted to the “Files” section on the two
reflectors, and I will be happy to add links to them on the
Resources Page.

Ian, G3NRW
g3nrw@g3nrw.net

***** Editor: TS-590 Family Resources Page: http://g3nrw.net/TS-590