New VARA HF v3.0.2 #VARA

Graham

Good question Andy,

Googling   vara  qso ,  did bring  back a  few  hits , one is a  winlk    p2p  net , not really a qso  as  such , there is a  IO vara  group  with  ~ 500 members ,  posting there might  help , look to  be  mostly  usa based .. personally , I would suggest, vara-hf with  chat module  provides  a  near  replication of the  days  of  amtor , but, with considerable gain in s/n ,the other being the  link remains in duplex , rather like packet , there is no  master/slave .. also the  link only sends data , when  data is presented ..ie no data , it stop's when keying pauses ..little  unnerving at first ..

Used to  take 250  watts  to work  usa east coast on 7 with  amtor , probably now 25w  would suffice , though  on link round test using the east coast  Main kiwi web sdr , 5 watts has supported similar s/n mfsk link

CQ/QSO  - sometimes the  translation is a  little askue , the  comparison is  pre coded  messages ,  triggered by  multiple pass , minimal  'on air'  content , to actually  transporting the  full  message  content ..in live text  , the system is most suited and  robust , having  spent  hours in qso  on 10 MHz  during  testing , a most  unstable  band

73 -Graham

I finally got around to installing VARA Chat today.  I recall Jose's previous message stating VARA CHAT is good for emcomm use and not for  CQ Hello Bye QSOs.  However I had a QSO with someone via Olivia the other day saying he uses VARA Chat on HF quite a bit.  What frequencies are people using it on ?

A lot of people have asked that ,
Ros is a one man band ,
Email  a request ..

The modem Commands  are listed if anyone
Can code a simple windows terminal ,
That could be a useful project , add some
Qso centered features ,

73 Graham

pat obrien <2WR796@...>

I use VARA CHAT...just a great program, any chances to have it work on 500, 2300 seems that is a long width...
POB/K8LEN

Yes its bit clunky , but , the  intent  was/is to  provide  , fast  one-2-one comms ,  with  file transfer ,
good  reports are being  received  from the  E-Com  users ,  a new version  overcomes a  unexpected limitation  to  file  transfer  max size , that might of been  with the  high speed  VHF modems ,

Due to the  rather poor  conditions,  testing over the  1000  mile HF  UK<>EA path was a  little  sprodic, only reached level 3 or 4  , however its up  and running , the  monitor function  in VAR should  enable  some sort of  round table aspect ,

73-G

Andrew O'Brien

Thanks Graham, I have downloaded and it installed without issues.  Seems my registration from previous versions has been accepted.   I'm not actually sure how to use since almost all my previous use was with RMS Express.  I am not sure if there is again a stand alone use, will poke around some more.

Andy K3UK

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 4:12 PM Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:
Andy,

I think  you  may find , the  new  'Chat' application , quite novel, in that  it gives access to the  modem at  all  speeds ,  but , I for  one  cannot  type that  fast ! , running the  'chat  app , calls the  vara  modem ,
Chat provides the  Rig  control  , via CAT or  Com-ptt  and the  modem  , the  audio interface  and  tune  button  ,  now a single  1500 Hz test  tone .The new modem has improved low  signal performance ,  this with the  arq  function , makes  for  low  power  error free  qso's , at power levels  much reduced  from the  days of amtor

Though not intended ,  the  unlicensed [free for all]  modem runs to  175  baud  level 3  , min being 40 baud  , ample  for  qso ,  but notably ,  for the  qrp  users , the  modem  remains  MFSK as  is the  ACK frame , being  phase continuous , allows it to be  passed  via non linear systems , ie , class  E/D  power  stages , which will  be of interest to the  low power / battery  emergency  situations ,

Entering a valid key , enables the  faster  levels, which are ofdm and require  linear handling.

Might be of wider  interest to list  possible watering  holes  for  'vara chat' ? first over the  pond  might be a start !

[...]

Interesting , thanks
Andy

On Jul 21, 2019, at 9:32 AM, Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Posted to the  VARA group  this morning ,  announcement , new  VARA  V3-0-2  has been  released ,

in addition , two  other  applications  are  released :-

VARA  Terminal : , allowing  connection  to  BPQ servers ,  deploying VARA modem

CHAT  application , which allows the  modem to  be uses as  'QSO mode ,
with  full  arq,  [ similar to  AMTOR ] for  live  keyboard text  and  file  transfer
[NB unlicensed modem runs to  175 Baud]

Download links , as of  today  21/7

  VARA HF v3.0.2 (From July 27th onwards. No compatible with v2.2.1)

  VARA HF v2.2.1 (Old version, expires July 27th)

  VARA SAT v3.0.1 (For Es’Hail-2 (QO-100) Satellite)

  VARA FM v1.2.8 (For 2m,70cm FM Links)

  VARA Chat v1.0.7 (Text and File transfer P2P app)

  VARA Terminal v1.0.5 (VARA dumb terminal)

Copy follows

Good morning,

As some of you know, i have been working in a new VARA HF since months ago. The objective was improve all the lines of the code and, specially, increase the sensitivity with low S/N, getting good performance with bad and good conditions.

The result is the new VARA HF v3.0.2 and can be downloaded in the official VARA site without extra cost for VARA licenses:  https://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

Sysops have been notified by the WDT and will try replace VARA v2.2.1 by the v3.0.2 on July 27th (or even before) .

The default retries in this new VARA is 10 (instead of 5) as now the connection protocol is faster. Set the number of retries that best fits with your usual Gateways. The time between retries is 3.2 seconds, so 10 retries are 32 seconds cycle. And DWELL time (for Gateway sysops) is 4 seconds.

special thanks to Martin HB9AUR for the countless hour spent testing VARA prototypes

73
Jose
EA5HVK

Graham