30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend
When: March 16th and 17th 2019
Where: 10 MHz - 30 Meter Band (10.100 – 10.150)
Objective: To promote experimenting and using different digital modes on the unique 30 Meter Band
Please join in if you have time this weekend. Those of you who want to participate using the more common modes of CW, FT8, BPSK31, RTTY, we welcome that, but those wanting to try other less used modes please do so and turn your RSID/TXID on to help others know what mode you are transmitting (common modes i.e. BPSK31/RTTY no need for RSID, do use RSID on the less common/exotic modes i.e. QBSK/HELL/MSK/DOMINOEX/THOR/THROB/CONTESTIA/OLIVIA/etc.).
A number of digital mode groups will be participating this weekend so if you have wanted to try out a new digital mode or make some contacts using less common digital modes this weekend might be of interest to you. There are a number of multi-mode digital software programs so this is also a chance to get on the 30 Meter Band to try them out. Most of them have RSID/TXID (Reed Solomon Identifier- automatic mode detection and tuning which will help or aid for the less commonly used digital modes so turn on the RSID/TXID).
This event is NOT a contest…no set times…no rules…no exchanges…no logs to send in or to anyone....no winners other than those that participate with casual use of the 30 Meter Band knowing that others with like interests will be on this weekend to experiment, ragchew, DX and have some fun trying different digital modes!
Where on the 30 Meter Band to find different digital mode activity:
(Note: these are suggested only and observations of known digital mode activity....all dial frequencies are USB for digital modes.....below " **** " indicates for the more active or used frequencies/modes)
10.100 - 10.130 CW ****
10.130 - FT8Call
10.132 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 2
10.132 - 10.134 ROS Region 1 (Region 2 - note not legal in USA)
10.135 - OPERA
10.136 - FT8 (WSJT) ****
10.138 - JT65 JT9 (WSJT)
10.1386 - MEPT/WSPR
10.138 - 10.140 - JT65 (WSJT)
10.1405 - PROPNET & PropNet Robots (BPSK31)
10.140 - 10.141 BPSK31 QRP
10.140 - 10.142 BPSK31 - DX Region 1,2,3 (or BPSK/QPSK,31,63,125,etc.) ****
10.142 - 10.144 RTTY
10.142 - 10.145 RTTY,MFSK,THOR,THROB,DOMINO,OLIVIA,CONTESTIA, SIM31,etc. -note:Turn on TXID/RXID
10.144 - FeldHELL (10.137 - 10.144)
10.144 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 1
10.142 - 10.144 - ALE-400hz
10.145 - 10.148 - ALE-2khz
10.147 – 10.148 PSKMail/APRS
10.1491 - 10.1495 APRS
For a more detailed 30 Meter Band Utilization Chart our digital friend Ian G3NRW has helped us on that so please go here: http://g3nrw.net/30m/
Operating hints for the weekend:
- Do use RSID (RXID/TXID) for the less common/exotic modes (i.e. Contestia,Olivia,Domino,etc)
- Do CQ with RSID for more than just a few of CQ’s, don’t expect to have someone to reply on a less common used mode the first few CQ’s…give it a while for others to find you and the mode being used
- Do use good operating habits – clean signal, lowest wattage to complete the QSO, QRL in common mode first, if band is busy or crowded spread out or use narrower width modes (i.e. if band is busy don’t use OLIVIA 8/500 in the middle of the 30 Meter PSK 10.141 portion of the Band-not good operating habit if the band is busy and you will not make many friends)
- Do not let not having a dedicated 30 meter antenna stop you from joining in....load up what antenna you do have and give it a go on 30 meters.
Have fun and hope to see you on the waterfall!
- Do have fun and compare modes, wattage, antennas, etc with other operators that are interested to do the same..most the 30 Meter Digital Operators are not Call,599,73 most want a QSO (even DX) but also keep in mind that for poor band conditions or weak signal work WSJT modes of FT8 (JT65/9) is hard to beat!
- Do use http://www.HamSpots.net for spotting, announcements of mode, etc.
****Please note we are secondary users of the 30 Meter Band and to use good operating procedures
Thanks from the 30 Meter Digital Group (30MDG) celebrating over 10 years and 10,000 members on the 10mhz 30 Meter Band!
Don kb9umt 30MDG#00001