Es'Hail 2 (Oscar 100) GEO Sat available for digital mode testing. #PSK31 #VARA

KC9SGV

Hi All,
The Es'Hail 2 (Oscar 100) geostationary commercial satellite with ham radio transponders is now operational.
Parked at 26 deg east, so below the horizon for the U.S.A. and Canada, but good for Europe and Africa.
It might be possible to to do any digital link test trough this satellite.
Of particular interest to me is whether ARQ modes like ARDOP and VARA will be able to establish and hold a connection.
The 250 KHz narrow band transponder is the non-inverting bent pipe type.
2.4 Ghz uplink.
10.4 Ghz downlink
Hardware solutions are on the web.
24/7/365 connectivity.

Listen to ongoing CW and SSB QSO's here:
Use the mobile version for IPad and smart phone.
Start the audio.
Move the waterfall.

https://eshail.batc.org.uk/nb/

Bernard,
KC9SGV

Tony

Bernard:

I’ve been decoding several different modes via the web SDR receiver over the last few days. There was some slow scan tv this morning as well as FT8.

I suspect any mode should work since there’s likely to be little Doppler with the geostationary satellite. I had many digital mode QSOs on AO-40 when the satellite was near apogee where the Doppler was tolerable, but the AFC still had to work hard.

It would be interesting to see how well it does with the modes you mentioned.

Tony -K2MO

On Feb 19, 2019, at 5:43 PM, KC9SGV <kc9sgv@...> wrote:

[...]

Siegfried Jackstien

easist solution is an adalm pluto (100 bucks) ... a homebrewed 10w pa ... and a normal pll locked lnb (if then is 739.6-8 for the ssb transponder)

for receive i just aded a normal lnb in my astra dish

you all sure know the setup with several lnb in one dish (astra eutelsat combination or so)

the same does work for eshail if you mount the lnb just on the other side of the astra lnb

so no new antenna needed ... just stick in the lnb in your dish and you are ready

dg9bfc sigi

Am 19.02.2019 um 22:43 schrieb KC9SGV:

[...]

Graham

OPERA  over sat link

DF6MN  Direct >>  2.4 GHz   Up link
10Ghz down >> Goonhilly web-sdr >> Internet >>  PA1SDB

Marcus , well  known in the  VLF  circles,  first  outing on decimetric  bands ,
using  60 cm dish and 0.25 watts

Good  signal back to  PA1SDB , with  only  2 or 3 %  fade ,  ie  data  loss

DF6MN 20 dB power reduction of 2.4 GHz uplink .. , 0.25 to 0.0025 watts ,

Implemented  20 db power reduction , system showing very good linearity ,

Being decoded by PA1SDB , VIA Goonhilly ground station at 10 GHz
rx s/n dropping  ~~  20 dB , to -16 db range , later returning to  'full power

Siegfried Jackstien

that means with a no gain omnidirectional antenna (qfh or similar) you need a few watts only

now to solve the receive end (omnidiectional) and we can go mobile .... grin

dg9bfc sigi

Am 04.03.2019 um 16:11 schrieb Graham:

OPERA  over sat link

DF6MN  Direct >>  2.4 GHz   Up link
10Ghz down >> Goonhilly web-sdr >> Internet >>  PA1SDB

Marcus , well  known in the  VLF  circles,  first  outing on decimetric  bands ,
using  60 cm dish and 0.25 watts

Good  signal back to  PA1SDB , with  only  2 or 3 %  fade ,  ie  data  loss

DF6MN 20 dB power reduction of 2.4 GHz uplink .. , 0.25 to 0.0025 watts ,

Implemented  20 db power reduction , system showing very good linearity ,

Being decoded by PA1SDB , VIA Goonhilly ground station at 10 GHz
rx s/n dropping  ~~  20 dB , to -16 db range , later returning to  'full power

Hi Siegfried

Yes, Luis EA5DOM , used  only  a  few  watts  to a  Diamond  3  band vertical Co linear  Ae
for the  2.4 GHz up link ,

What is  significant , is  at theses power and s/n levels ,  Opera op05  and ROS-HF
have the  same  s/n  requirements ,  ROS-4 will  work  at  the  low  s/n  showing  in
the plot .. ROS-16  at the  higher  level ,  psk31 would need  +10 db more  power

73-Graham

Siegfried Jackstien

it will be fun to try out freedv700d over the sat cause its decoding barrier is close to the noise border

too low for ssb ... just good enough for a trained cw op with several reppeats of the callsignn operater name etc

that is how low freedv700d goes ... so ... sooner or later as clever guy will use a 3/4 wave antenna (for high angle radiation) and going mobile on the sat :-)

greetz

sigi dg9bfc

Am 04.03.2019 um 18:02 schrieb Graham:

Hi Siegfried

Yes, Luis EA5DOM , used  only  a  few  watts  to a  Diamond  3  band vertical Co linear  Ae
for the  2.4 GHz up link ,

What is  significant , is  at theses power and s/n levels ,  Opera op05  and ROS-HF
have the  same  s/n  requirements ,  ROS-4 will  work  at  the  low  s/n  showing  in
the plot .. ROS-16  at the  higher  level ,  psk31 would need  +10 db more  power

73-Graham

KC9SGV

Hi All,

More excellent information about the Qatar OSCAR-100 (QO-100) ham transponder GEO satellite is here:
https://amsat-dl.org/en/eshail-2-amsat-phase-4-a

Listen to QSO activity via the sat on the NB transponder here:
https://eshail.batc.org.uk/nb/

Decode the BPSK 400 top passband telemetry beacon with old software for the now defunct AO-40 sat.
This is excellent freeware by AE4JY.
Please donate to AMSAT.
WebSDR via iPhone acoustic coupling into PC....

http://www.moetronix.com/ae4jy/ao40rcv.htm

KC9SGV