PSK31 QRV #PSK31

Andrew O'Brien

I finally paid attention to my suggestion that we should all use ye olde PSK31 a bit more.  I answered a CQ today and had a chat with a bloke in Florida.  It was nice to see his text pause occasionally and he slowly type his responses, NO canned macros other than his BTU string.  While JS8 has is useful at times, PSK31 keyboarding is much more effective .  I think I am going to deliberately CQ in PSK31 for a few minutes each day.

Andy K3UK

Larry Mundinger

On 2/13/19 9:44 AM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
  I think I am going to deliberately CQ in PSK31 for a few minutes each day.
But where to put the activity back on 30 and 17 meters?  There needs to be a consensus as to where to look for PSK31.

Larry, KG4Q

Andrew OBrien

Good question Larry.  For 17M I have just studied the FT8 activity on that band today , they seem to consistently occupy up to 18103.  Why don't we arbitrarily claim 18103 (dial)  plus 1000 Hz center frequency  as the new  calling frequency for PSK31 ? I will go there this afternoon.

Andy K3UK

Larry Mundinger

On 2/13/19 11:03 AM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
Why don't we arbitrarily claim 18103 (dial)  plus 1000 Hz center frequency  as the new  calling frequency for PSK31 ?
Good idea Andy.  What about 30M? PSK and other keyboard modes used to be at 10140 but mailhandlers are now found there.  W1HKJ has 10135 as the default for Fldigi but that only leaves 1KHz before running into FT8. Perhaps we should just take over the space formerly used by JT65.ake

If Fldigi and HRD would default to usable frequencies for PSK and other keyboard modes it might make finding QSOs easier.

Larry KG4Q

Ev Tupis <w2ev@...>

What's PSK31?  Is that more like AM or spark?  Lol.

(ducking for cover)
Ev, W2EV

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019, 10:44:13 AM EST, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:

I finally paid attention to my suggestion that we should all use ye olde PSK31 a bit more.  I answered a CQ today and had a chat with a bloke in Florida.  It was nice to see his text pause occasionally and he slowly type his responses, NO canned macros other than his BTU string.  While JS8 has is useful at times, PSK31 keyboarding is much more effective .  I think I am going to deliberately CQ in PSK31 for a few minutes each day.

I agree Ev, a very old mode ... but still has its uses.

On 2/13/19 12:41 PM, Andrew O'Brien wrote:
I agree Ev, a very old mode ... but still has its uses.
RTTY is much older but check the bands during any RTTY contest.

And CW is really old.  I view CW to be like fly fishing or bow hunting - same sport but requiring additional skills.  Acquiring and improving skills is what makes a hobby not grow old.

Larry, KG4Q

Graham

Edited

Well , may be old ,

But, if you have 128  orthongonal  / close spaced psk carriers and a little supporting coding, you can send data at  6k or faster in a ssb channel .... its the basis for mt63,  (the first in) pactor 111 , ardop and now vara )

And the ultra low s/n  vlf  data mode also uses narrow psk modulation,  the reason Opera uses ask and not psk  , no one could send psk on the low bands back then......and still very few have linera amplification .

NB - The technical issues , where/are

Audio  [1500 hz]  to  RF  on air  carrier  frequency translation ,   very few Tx/Rx where  able to  send on 500/477 KHz , , which prevented , the  use of conventional  data  modes ,  I used a  e-bay spacial,  Racal MA1723 exciter , which  covered [out of range] 500 K
Now sets like the  IC7100   do function on  MF and provide on-frequency drive  out

Amplification ,   There  was / is a  trend to  design MFET  'amplifiers'  using  a  dividing , logic drive ,  using the  same  channel  FET devices ,  this  required a  bi-stable  drive , which  in turn ,  at the  minimum  , divided the  drive  frequency  by '2' , requiring the  drive frequency to  be  x2 , but ,  then dividing   the  tone  spacing of any  mmfsk  data  mode by '2' , thus preventing  any of the  conventional  modes of the  time
Using  P&N  channel devices , overcomes this issue , by  providing  on-frequency 'carrier power'

73 Graham ..

Andrew OBrien

FYI, I did see some PSK31 activity this morning on 10140 .  So I suggest that 10140 and 18103 are the 30/17 calling frequencies.
Andy K3UK

dave.goathland@...

Oh yes, let’s have some more hand typed proper conversations on psk31 ..I am fed up with people who just want  to swap showing off macros....all the gear and no idea( certainly about conversation!)
Dave...G4DAX