PSK Strange SWR Happening #PSK31

Dave Corio

I use either my shorty dipole or Butternut HF9V for HF Digi-modes with my IC-7200. This problem applies to the vertical only. I can use any mode on any HF band with the Butternut, except PSK. Olivia, RTTY, FT8 SSB and CW, all other modes work perfectly. As soon as I try to use PSK with the HF9V my antenna tuner continuously tries to retune (Tuner is an LDG AT-200Pro). At first I suspected RF getting into the signal stream somewhere but this happens on every band from 80 to 10M, and even at low power (5W).

Is there something in the phase shifting of the PSK signal that could be causing this? I'd been off PSK for some time but I know this never happened before. Have had the HF9V for many years and it still works great on every other mode!

Thanks in advance!
Dave - KB3MOW

Andrew OBrien

Very odd, Dave.  Just wondering if the speed makes any difference?  PSK125 or 63 ?

Andy K3UK

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM Dave Corio via Groups.Io <kb3mow=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I use either my shorty dipole or Butternut HF9V for HF Digi-modes with my IC-7200. This problem applies to the vertical only. I can use any mode on any HF band with the Butternut, except PSK. Olivia, RTTY, FT8 SSB and CW, all other modes work perfectly. As soon as I try to use PSK with the HF9V my antenna tuner continuously tries to retune (Tuner is an LDG AT-200Pro). At first I suspected RF getting into the signal stream somewhere but this happens on every band from 80 to 10M, and even at low power (5W).

Is there something in the phase shifting of the PSK signal that could be causing this? I'd been off PSK for some time but I know this never happened before. Have had the HF9V for many years and it still works great on every other mode!

Thanks in advance!
Dave - KB3MOW

Dave Corio

    Hi Andy. Speed doesn't make any difference - at least up to 125.

    I think I'm back to thinking that RF is somehow getting into the signal path. The vertical is somewhat closer to the radio than the dipole. Just don't understand why the other modes work fine.

Tnx es 73
Dave - KB3MOW

On 2/7/2019 9:51 AM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
[...]

John Kirby <n3aaz_qrp_1@...>

Simular problem Field Day
(not with auto tuner but PC application) running wireless mouse.
Switched to USB and/or PC touch pad ... problem solved.
John
N3AAZ