Topics

Oh no not again - This time MS Security Essentials and something else about Bitrep.B Trojan #VARA

Winter Bynes

Hi folks,

I know this has happened before but, upon first booting and opening windows Defender (a subsection of MSSE) all is well and dandy, defender sits there doing its thing. Launch the VARA TNC and defender process gets killed. This is suspicious, is it not? It is to me! I didn't have an issue until today, maybe its heuristics but what I don't get is it making my system being unable to lauch windows defender after starting the TNC. Is there some code in there doing that on purpose for an innocent reason? I've put the C:\VARA dir as an exclusion, but this odd behaviour worries me.

Thanks for looking into this, and if there is something I can provide to help please by all means ask away.

Best Regards
Red
PE1RRR

Graham

Hi Red
Checked with Jose , seems  you are the only
one ,

Check in with the Google  vara group for support ,
Vara is a one man band , but there is no good reason
Running the modem , should stop windows defender
From running ..

Just to make sure ...The sequence is

Vara  runs ok
Windows defender stops

And not defender stops vara working ?

73 Graham
G0nbd

Andrew O'Brien

I run Defender and Jose’s VARA , never noticed this . I have not received any Defender alerts

Andy K3UK

On Jan 12, 2019, at 2:00 PM, Graham <g0nbd@...> wrote:

Hi Red
Checked with Jose , seems  you are the only
one ,

Check in with the Google  vara group for support ,
Vara is a one man band , but there is no good reason
Running the modem , should stop windows defender
From running ..

Just to make sure ...The sequence is

Vara  runs ok
Windows defender stops

And not defender stops vara working ?

73 Graham
G0nbd

Graham

Andy, I'm not sure the syntax is correct, as the post shows the virus software has defined vara as the threat , if vara had forced closure, that could not of happened .. AGV  was flagging Opera install , just before the f5zal  2 meter opening to south UK , no reason for it , other than to sell virus checking software

73 Graham

pat obrien <2WR796@...>

I had the same problem with VARA and had to take my security programs,defender and malware bytes, and make a exception to allow VARA in, works  great now, NO problems.
POB/K8LEN

bill K7WXW

I have had at least two virus prevention programs or services detect vara.exe as having a virus, the latest being Sophos.  I am not sure what is going on, though I know this is often a problem with older and unsigned Windows software.

73 Bill K7WXW

Steinar LA5VNA

Hi

Have you uploaded the vara.exe file to : https://www.virustotal.com/en/ ?

LA5VNA S

Den 04.02.2019 22:51, skrev bill K7WXW:
I have had at least two virus prevention programs or services detect
vara.exe as having a virus, the latest being Sophos.  I am not sure what
is going on, though I know this is often a problem with older and
unsigned Windows software.

73 Bill K7WXW

Don - kx9q

Have you tried Malwarebytes – free version?

Don – kx9q

Tom DF5JL

Hi,

A lot of antivirus programs are detecting a virus in vara.exe, like
Bitdender AV or Sophos.In my case these where "false alarms".

73 Tom DF5JL