Current Calling Frequencies (for finding each other when signals are weak) #Olivia

OUR CURRENT (2018) SUGGESTED OLIVIA CALLING AND LISTENING FREQUENCIES

These are suggested frequencies on which can be found WEAK (i.e., a signal that you cannot hear, a signal not seen on the waterfall) Olivia signals.  While it is easy to spot a STRONG Olivia signal anywhere on the waterfall, by using these suggested calling frequencies at least once and a while, you will enable us to find your signal when the signal is too weak to hear and too faint to see on the waterfall.  Olivia can do well with weak signals.  Yes, our suggested 8 tone with 250 Hz bandwidth results in slow transmissions.  But, it is one of the better settings when attempting to decode very weak signals.  Once you make contact, you can move up or down a bit, away from the calling frequency, and then change to 16/500 to make the conversation go faster.  But, on a calling frequency, it is advisable to configure operations in such a way as to increase the likelihood that you will find and decode that weak signal.

In the following list, CENTER is where you place the center of the software's cursor, and click to select that center frequency on the waterfall. If you use the DIAL frequency from this list, then click 1500 Hz offset up the waterfall (1500 Hz to the RIGHT of the LEFT side of the waterfall, if your waterfall is oriented horizontally with the lowest frequency on the left). This results in the software and transceiver being correctly tuned for the CENTER frequency.

The listing shows CENTER, then DIAL, then the number of tones and the bandwidth.

CENTER - DIAL (Tones/Bandwidth)
1.8269 - 1.8254 (8/250)
3.5729 - 3.5714 (8/250)
7.0729 - 7.0714 (8/250)
10.1429 - 10.1414 (8/250)
14.0729 - 14.0714 (8/250)
14.1075 - 14.106 (16/1000)
18.1029 - 18.1014 (8/250)
21.0729 - 21.0714 (8/250)
24.9229 - 24.9214 (8/250)
28.1229 - 28.1214 (8/250)
and so on.

Example (screen grab showing an example):

REMEMBER THAT IF YOU USE THE DIAL FREQUENCY (THE SECOND FREQUENCY PER ROW), SET YOUR WATERFALL CENTER AT 1500 Hz)

Join us on Groups.io via http://OliviaDigitalMode.net

ALSO:  If your software is able to decode/encode the Reed-Solomon Identification signals (RSID), please turn on both received and transmit RSID.  An example is shown in the following video, which demonstrates enabling RSID in a popular software suite:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIacwD9nNM

Please share this everywhere possible, as part of our effort to rekindle the love for our conversational mode, Olivia.

73 de NW7US

..

Sholto Fisher

Good info Tomas.

It would be nice to have an auto start sequence in Olivia like RTTY used to have.  Basically a squelch to stop garbage chars until a particular sequence was decoded. The normal amplitude level squelch in Fldigi and Multipak never seems very effective with these modes and if you're waiting for very quiet signals you normally run with the level squelch off anyhow.

It would be nice to hear more Feld Hell signals too 🙂

73

Sholto

K7TMG

[...]

Tom DF5JL

Hello, Tomas,

so far I did not understand, why these crooked frequencies should make sense.

If, for example, I know that the frequency 14.107,5 kHz is a popular meeting point (center frequency), then there is the possibility of avoiding it (at 1000 Hz signal width) at 14.106,5 or 14.108,5 kHz.

So why not use the frequencies 18.103 kHz (center) on 17m instead of 18.1029? Why so crooked and complicated when it can be (much) easier?

73 Tom DF5JL / IARU Region1 HF Manager