Re: OK , Gridtracker it is then !

Siegfried Jackstien

why do digital when you can speak hi hi :-)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 22.07.2022 um 23:51 schrieb Rick Ellison:

I was really surprised a few weeks ago to find that in early evening on 20 just before the band dies there is some PSK31 and 63 going on. I have made at least  one or two qso’s a night using it. I am not a fan at all of the FT Modes.. SO it gives me hope there is still other digital modes being used..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: main@digitalradio.groups.io [mailto:main@digitalradio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andrew OBrien
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2022 3:32 PM
To: main@digitalradio.groups.io
Cc: Tag Loomis <tag.loomis@...>
Subject: [digital-mode-radio] OK , Gridtracker it is then !

OK , Gridtracker it is then !

Over the last year my interest in amateur radio has waxed and waned . I sold a few HF radios , gave up running the WSJTX group for Joe Taylor and crew, MOSTLY stopped using FT8, did not chase DX seriously , and what activity I did do was QRP CW and experimental digital modes . I think I had a period of 2-3 months where Iistened only .
Within the last couple of months my interest has increased and I bought a new radio , built an antenna or two. I have been trying to decide where my focus should be , emcomm, DXing , nets , POTA, CW only . While thinking about this, I had a thought about my views last year that JTlerts and Gridtracker were the bane of amateur radio . My thoughts were that they have turned some people in to  “ham snobs”, making it easy for them to only conduct QSOs with people they have never contacted before .

With my renewed interest over the last few weeks I decided I was going to keep things simple and focus on awards like DXCC . Casually operating . I decided to reinstall Gridtracker . A couple of years ago I made comments about the promise the software had , especially if grid-squares were routinely shared as an exchange in modes like CW. After installing it again, and actually reading the documentation (shock !),  I am back to my original conclusion that it really does make operating more interesting . Filtering options allow you to select stations likely to have a good chance of working each other (setting minimum SNR for an alert ).  Of course , it heavily favors JT modes . Trawling those is generally more productive than sifting through other digital signals and SSB phone stations .

So , I finally have decided Gridtracker it is ! I’ll work other modes when the mood hits , I’ll hop into a contest every now and again , and experiment with any new digital mode that is released . However , the way Gridtracker allows me to organize the information on the screen is far superior to other options . Especially at a time where my multitasking skills are decreasing, slightly . Gridtracker , is NOT just a grid tracker ! In fact , tracking grids is of very little interest to me . Gridtracker is a ham radio operator's “office suite”. Like some logging software , Gridtracker integrates all aspects of your on-air activity . You then decide what information you want to see , how you want to view it , and present the information as a summary of how well your station is performing . If I could somehow add CW Skimmer to the mix ( I might try ) , I would have a complete picture . So, no more spending two hours looking for exotic digital modes and finding no stations worked , GridTracker ,and it’s supported
modes , it is !