Re: study material to teach hams on datacommunication

Kristoff Bonne

Trip,

To be honest, that is not really my problem.

I think that in almost all clubs, you have about 5 % of the people who are interested in homebrew DIY or develop the hobby: the 'maker' and the 'developer' people of the amateur-radio world.
These people are my audience.
And, to be honest, I don't even know to what degree that is all linked to the exam. Most of the more interesting things digital communication are not in the exams neither, so are not even part of the courses given by the clubs.

I just want to be able to help these one or two people in a club that *do* are interested in really knowing how something works, who *do* want to build stuff themselfs  and who *do* want to be more then just an operator.

My question here is: How do you get these people over the first hurdle: aquiring the required theoretical knowledge without having to know all the math that comes with the "EE-engineering" types of online courses.

73
krstoff

On 24/06/2020 10:31, kt67 wrote:
kristoff,

In the US we are quickly headed for a no test license.
So your fighting an uphill battle.

If you find that book pls let us know, I would read it.

Trip - KT4WO

On 6/23/20, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@...> wrote:
Hi all,

As I once wrote some libraries for encoding POCSAG-messages on arduino
and GNU Radio that are now on github, I sometimes get mails from people
asking me about POCSAG.

Now, looking at some of the questions I get, I do notice quite a lack of
basic knowledge on digital communication in the amateur-radio community.
E.g. I do not know how many times I have already explained that FSK
("Frequency Shift Keying") -as used by POCSAG paging-, is in fact
nothing else but a variation on normal FM. I keep on asking myself
"isn't this something that somebody with a ham-license is supposed to
know?"

I get the impression that, although all ham-radio course do explain AM,
FM and SSB, for some reason the "digital" version of them (and how much
they are actually alike) are not really covered; or not to a degree that
people have an idea of digital communication really *is*.
For me, I learned most of digital communication from books (mainly on
land-based digital communication) but I must say that a lot of the books
and study-material on digital communication and datacomm do are either
oriented towards EE students (i.e. with a lot of focus on math) or to
much oriented on "operating" (i.e. not providing a descent theoretical
background on the topic)

So, ..  I'm looking for study-material or books that a provide a base
and descent theoretical background on the topic, but without all the
math that comes with the EE engineering-courses. By preference, the
course would build on the material used of the ham-radio license exam.
My target-audience is a typical amateur-radio operator:  learned
electronics via a courses in a local radio-amateur club, either no or
limited technical background) .

What would you advice to a fellow ham that wants to learn more about
digital communication, going beyond being just an operator?

Does the ARRL sell any good books on this topic?

73
kristoff - ON1ARF