Re: Affecting the use of digital modes... #qrm

Hi Matthew,

I do not think of JS8 as a normal keyboard to keyboard mode like psk31 or Olivia. There is rather a community of users that use the features of the JS8Call program. The program uses a derivative combination of the WSJT-X FT8 modem and the chatting, relay and messaging features of the FSQCall program. Has robustness of the FT8 modem and multiple decoding but also has multiple speeds that let you trade speed and width versus robustness, program decodes all the speeds at the same time, allows you to relay via intermediate stations that are left on to provide a service, lets you issue a "heartbeat" to see whose station can hear you, and so on. You have a common USB dial frequency then many narrow band stations chat in the 2-3KHz above that dial frequency. Sometimes joining in ad hoc nets.

PSKreporter's map includes JS8 and most JS8 users do spot other stations.

I take it you have not tried JS8? Please go to js8call.com and read the documents then download the program. Just like WSJT-X you pick a band and the program tunes to the common dial frequency for that band. Also has several other features like relay and messaging.

Would be incompatible I think trying to put the JS8 watering hole where psk31 and Olivia et al stations are expecting to find space for operating. Thus the chosen area where the WSKT-X users had mostly left.

73, tom w7sua

On 6/1/2020 6:33 PM, Matthew Chambers NR0Q via groups.io wrote:
But isn't JS8 a keyboard to keyboard mode, why couldn't it slide down to just below the FT8 allocation say to 14.073-14.074, it would fit in alongside PSK?
Matthew Chambers, CBT, NR0Q
Owner/Engineer
*M Chambers Communications Engineering LLC*
PO BOX 855, Moberly, MO 65270
Mobile (660)415-5620
www.mchambersradio.com <http://www.mchambersradio.com/>
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 8:19 PM Tom W7SUA <tom@w7sua.org <mailto:tom@w7sua.org>> wrote:
That will not work Matthew.
JS8 is active and occupies the space between FT8 and FT4.
73, tom w7sua

<nw7us.heliophile@gmail.com <mailto:nw7us.heliophile@gmail.com>
<mailto:nw7us.heliophile@gmail.com>>> wrote:

>     Please see my two articles regarding an urgent issue
involving all