Re: Affecting the use of digital modes... #qrm

Matthew Chambers NR0Q

Impossible for each mode to have a slice, but like-modes like JT65, JT9, FT8, FT4 and WSPR are compatible with each other and could share spectrum, modes like RTTY, Olivia, MT63, and Hell could share all the space above FT8 outside the Winlink subband and keep a 4 kHz slice for narrowband key-board modes like PSK, Thor, Throb, MFSK, etc.

If I were to arrange digital for 20m,
14.000 to 14.070 CW Only
14.070 to 14.074 Narrowband keyboard-keyboard (PSK31, Thor, MFSK, etc)
14.074 to 14.080 JT65, JT9, FT8, FT4, etc
14.080 to 14.095 Wideband keyboard-keyboard (RTTY, Olivia, MT63, etc)
14.095 to 14.112 (minus the DX Beacon window) Winlink Digital
14.112 to 14.150 Wideband keyboard-keyboard

but to me that would make too much sense probably

Matthew Chambers, CBT, NR0Q
Owner/Engineer
M Chambers Communications Engineering LLC
PO BOX 855, Moberly, MO 65270
Mobile (660)415-5620

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 2:28 PM Chaplain Dave Sparks <dsparks@...> wrote:
How feasible is it to allot each new mode their own EXCLUSIVE slice of spectrum? It seems like we'd eventually run out.

Chaplain Dave Sparks - Callsign: AF6AS

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 06/01/20, 12:25:58 PM

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:
I don’t think I would call the WSJTX move a “frequency grab”, especially since the development team requested feedback on the suggested frequencies . The very nature of FT8 and FT4 operations make clustered operations sensible , it’s like fishing with a net . However I still like the idea of fishing with a single pole and hook and thus think we should cast wherever we feel like it , within the band plan .
Andy K3uk

Andy

On Jun 1, 2020, at 7:21 AM, Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:

Please see my two articles regarding an urgent issue involving all digital modes on HF, including FT8 / FT4.
Part 1: https://g.nw7us.us/3dnf6df
More parts to follow...
Be sure to read the comments left on each post, as there are great points made in this discussion.

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.
+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US