Re: Dealing with FT8 interference on 20m #FT8 #qrm #lsb #20m

Sholto Fisher

Hi Trevor. I find even high audio tone FT8 transmissions cause the agc to pump. I suppose these are stations running full legal power or very close to me.

I'm sure with high end receivers this isn't a problem but for my IC-718 with no narrow filtering it seems to help. Also I don’t have to listen to a warbling 3KHz+ signals every 15 seconds

From: main@digitalradio.groups.io <main@digitalradio.groups.io> on behalf of AKA via Groups.Io <m5aka@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 5:51:58 AM
To: main@digitalradio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Dealing with FT8 interference on 20m #20m #ft8 #qrm #lsb

Sholto, surely what you are suggesting is the same as transmitting on 14.071 using USB so your transmissions don't cause interference to existing activity on 14.074.

I cannot see the point in inverting your sideband?

73 Trevor M5AKA

On Friday, 19 April 2019, 20:33:08 BST, Sholto Fisher <sholto.fisher@...> wrote:

This probably has occurred to others but I’ve found that tuning to 14.074 LSB gives me a better shot at hearing digital signals as the FT8 crowd are kept at bay by opposite sideband suppression in my rig.

I run an IC-718 with no filters so maybe you guys with your Elecraft, FTDXs and Flex radios don’t need it!

You just need to remember to invert your signal in the software. Some modes such as PSK31, Packet, and Feld Hell don’t need it but others like MFSK and Olivia do.

73

Sholto

K7TMG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10