Re: Ten Meter Meteor Scatter Video #10M Meteor Scatter Video JT9-Fast Modes #10m

Ev Tupis

Hi Tony,

The Meteor Scatter based PSK31 successes took place during meteor showers and were corroborated by similar success using AX.25 over the same pathway.  In the early days, our Probes included both modes, making this much easier.

On 10 meters, meteor ionization lasts for a very long time (on the order of 30 seconds to several minutes).  Our system tracked the stream, so doppler wasn't an issue.

I haven't given alot of thought about mining the PropNET database for such occurrences, however doing so should be possible...especially in low sunspot times where Es isn't "noise". Lol.

Of course aircraft scatter would present itself much like MS so one would have to consider how to ID and remove that from the data set.

Cheers,
Ev

On Thursday, January 3, 2019, 4:19:43 PM EST, Tony <DXDX@...> wrote:

Ev:

With PSK31 printing less than 3 characters per second, I would assume the productive periods you're referring to coincide with major showers where meteor trail reflections are long enough in duration to capture call signs?

I take it that there's little data being captured during non-shower periods (daily sporadic activity) where vast majority of the reflections are short-lived?

Is there a way to search the PropNet archives to see the data you're referring to?

Tony -K2MO

On 12/21/2018 3:36 AM, Ev Tupis via Groups.Io wrote:
In the early days of PropNET (http://www.PropNET.org) we used AX.25 on 10 and 6 meters.  We found 10 meters to be very productive for meteor work as a result.  We have since moved to PSK31 where we have documented MS propagation on that mode, too.

Interestingly, the "sweet spot" for commercial meteor scatter operations is in the 40 MHz range right between those two bands.

Ev, W2EV

PS: The PropNET Project will be end on or about December 31 after 20 years of operation.

On Thursday, December 20, 2018, 5:07:04 PM EST, Tony <DXDX@...> wrote:

All:

The idea of using meteor scatter to communicate on a dead 10 meter band
caught my attention many years ago. I've done extensive testing since
then and found that meteor scatter is relatively easy to accomplish on
this band.

I've worked 6 meter meteor scatter for many years and the impression one
gets is that QSO success rates are likely to be higher on 10 compared to
6 meters and especially 2 meters.

That observation coincides with general radio meteor theory that says
longer wavelengths provide longer more intense meteor trail reflections
-- something I've seen repeatedly during testing which is shown in the
attached spectrogram.

To illustrate what a 10 meter meteor scatter QSO is like, I recorded a
short video of one of the QSO's I had with VE2FXL. We used one of the
WSJT JT9 fast-modes designed to decode short-lived meteor scatter
reflections.

So 10 meters may be a good alternative for those who do not have 6 meter
capability and would like to try meteor scatter. It's also a way to make
use of 10 meters during the lull in the sunspot cycle or at night when
the band becomes dormant.