Re: Ten Meter Meteor Scatter Video #10M Meteor Scatter Video JT9-Fast Modes #10m

Ev Tupis

In the early days of PropNET (http://www.PropNET.org) we used AX.25 on 10 and 6 meters.  We found 10 meters to be very productive for meteor work as a result.  We have since moved to PSK31 where we have documented MS propagation on that mode, too.

Interestingly, the "sweet spot" for commercial meteor scatter operations is in the 40 MHz range right between those two bands.

Ev, W2EV

PS: The PropNET Project will be end on or about December 31 after 20 years of operation.

On Thursday, December 20, 2018, 5:07:04 PM EST, Tony <DXDX@...> wrote:

All:

The idea of using meteor scatter to communicate on a dead 10 meter band
caught my attention many years ago. I've done extensive testing since
then and found that meteor scatter is relatively easy to accomplish on
this band.

I've worked 6 meter meteor scatter for many years and the impression one
gets is that QSO success rates are likely to be higher on 10 compared to
6 meters and especially 2 meters.

That observation coincides with general radio meteor theory that says
longer wavelengths provide longer more intense meteor trail reflections
-- something I've seen repeatedly during testing which is shown in the
attached spectrogram.

To illustrate what a 10 meter meteor scatter QSO is like, I recorded a
short video of one of the QSO's I had with VE2FXL. We used one of the
WSJT JT9 fast-modes designed to decode short-lived meteor scatter
reflections.

So 10 meters may be a good alternative for those who do not have 6 meter
capability and would like to try meteor scatter. It's also a way to make
use of 10 meters during the lull in the sunspot cycle or at night when
the band becomes dormant.