Re: VARA vs. Pactor-III Speed Comparison Plots

Tony

On 8/24/2018 10:42 PM, James_Clark@... wrote:

Tony: thank you *very* much for all the effort you put into the testing, it is exactly the information I have been looking for.

My pleasure James. It would be interesting to see how the two modems compare during your field tests. We have a large number of RMS stations here in the states so it was easy to test both VARA and Pactor via the same station.

I'd give VARA a try and see how things go with your notebook -- maybe someone on this reflector can verify whether or not VARA will run on an XP machine.

Look forward to hearing from you James.

Tony -K2MO

Tony: thank you *very* much for all the effort you put into the testing, it is exactly the information I have been looking for.

I spend a fair bit of time deep in the Australian bush and use Winlink/Pactor 3 frequently and based upon your tests I'll buy a copy of VARA to add to my armoury. Currently we only have one VARA base station in Oz (in Sydney on 40m) but I'm sure others will pop up in due course.

One spec. I have not seen is that for the minimum Windows machine on which to run VARA. As electrical power is often an issue for me I like to use my XP Intel Atom netbook when possible but I suspect it may struggle with VARA?