Re: Monitoring VARA

Sholto Fisher

Trevor,

I don't think an ID sent in a mode (without the possibility of reasonably being able to monitor it) is in the spirit of Part 97 even if you insist it is fully complying with the regulations. I can easily imagine the FCC would turn this argument on its head and suggest that if you are unable to ID a particular mode then it is up to the operator to decide its legality under Part 97 and whether or not to use it.

It just seems common sense to me that authors of digital modes (to be used in the Amateur service) would ensure an easy method of monitoring transmissions.

I am fully aware that CW IDs are not legal requirements but it seems reasonable that if there is no chance of identifying a transmission using the software itself a CW ID does makes sense.

73

Sholto
K7TMG