Re: Monitoring VARA

M5AKA

While in the USA Part 97 mandates IDing at 10 minute intervals, (ID can be in the mode you are transmitting e.g. VARA), this restriction doesn't apply to other countries. A call sign embedded in data packets should meet the US ID requirement.

In the UK the ID time interval is now left to the operators discretion, for example when experimenting with very low bit rate modes it may well be impractical to ID more frequently that once every 30 minutes.

73 Trevor M5AKA

On Tuesday, 6 March 2018, 7:55, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

I'm testing a version of Vara that Includes CWID, though I don't think that is in the currently released version.

73, John

On 5 Mar 2018 22:43, Sholto Fisher <sholto.fisher@...> wrote:
I can see this being an issue for part 97 compliance. There has to be a way for the stations concerned to transmit an ID which can be monitored/understood by others. WinMOR has this self identification and I think for VARA to be legal it will have to do the same.