Re: Testing VARA.

Andrew OBrien

I am not sure if it is for the same reason, but in the early Winmor testing days I notice the same issues... it took Winmor a while to get up to full speed.
Andy K3UK

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 4:45 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
As people have found VARA can be very fast once it gets going, so is very good for sending large messages. Unfortunately is has some characteristics that make it less effective on batches of small messages, which may be more relevant in an emcom environment. Each time the direction of transmission is reversed it reverts to its lowest speed and has to build up to high speed again The Winlink B2 forwarding protocol changes direction a couple of times for each block of 5 messages, so if the messages are relatively short VARA never get up to full speed. I'm not trying to put anyone off VARA, just suggesting you check out how well it suits you requirements.

73,
John G8BPQ