Re: What Mode and Why

Larry Mundinger

On 04/08/2015 07:40 PM, Ken Meinken ken.meinken@... [digitalradio] wrote:

  I find QST to be lacking technically and the Handbook seems to have become an engineering text.   Yes, the ARRL seems to have become a publishing house, not an organization devoted to the membership.

We will never see an article aimed at the new ham on how to select an old transceiver and tuner and put it on the air with a homemade antenna.  The power supply could be an old auto battery on a float charger. How many give up thinking that they need a $2-3K rig, autotuner, and bought antenna to get on HF?  A soundcard interface is not difficult to build but you won't find an article on that.  Check the archives for articles from before commercial interfaces were available.

Of course, on the lists most of the discussion is on how to get the software to work with the rig.  Shouldn't it be about radio?  In 2011 I got back on HF with a 32 year old transceiver, a 35 year old manual tuner, a homemade interface, and stealth antennas and worked over 100 countries.  Last year I moved to where I could have a real antenna but new digital country contacts beyond about 125 are rare.  Still, there is plenty of action for the newcomer.

When I was a new teen ham there was a lot of WW2 surplus available and there were a lot of articles in QST and the handbook on surplus conversions and construction using cannibalized TV sets.  We have plenty wars these days but where is the war surplus?

But, if you have $99 and $.49 a minute you can rent a big gun station and remotely operate it over the internet and when you work the rare one it will count for DXCC.  Check the full page advertisement just before the ARRL explaining why the rented big gun station counts.

Larry
KG4Q