Re: 80m used for trials of 24 kHz B/W data

Ralph Mowery

At some point in time someone decided to call rtty and maybe some other modes that come out of a ssb transmitter when fed into the microphone or audio  of a ssb transmitter AFSK.   It is not AFSK. 
It is what comes out of the transmitter and makes it out the antenna that counts.  Many rigs do not generate Morse code by turning the carrier off and on like the older ones. They key an internal audio oscillator off and on.  The results at the antenna is the same as turning the transmitter off and on.

As far as the FCC is concerned, it does not mater how you actually generate a signal,  it is what leaves the antenna that defines the mode.

To: digitalradio@...
Sent: Monday, September 2, 2013 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: 80m used for trials of 24 kHz B/W data

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Frank A. Ellis <w3uhf@...> wrote:

Ralph,

You are correct, but I'm not confused. When I used the term AFSK I was referring to the commonly used method of generating RTTY using audio tones fed into the input of an SSB transmitter, to distinguish it from FSK generation accomplished by pulling the VFO with a control voltage. 

73 Frank W3UHF

If you choose to define it that way, fine, but I maintain that for all practical purposes the actual RF output is indistinguishable (minus a few inevitable but largely imperceptible artifacts). But if you define a mode by how it is produced rather than what actually exists on the airwaves, then would sound-card produced "CW" be permissible on CW-only subbands?

--
Chaplain Dave Sparks - AF6AS

Join main@digitalradio.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.